UPVC Flush casement windows?

Hi all

I am looking to replace my rotten timber frames with more energy efficient maintenance free UPVC ones. They are for a cottage in a conservation area so the aesthetics are  very important. 

Other than the 'Residence Collection' windows which seem to be very popular, has anyone had a good experience with any other manufacturer? 

I know 'Rehau' also manufacture these type of windows - are they any good?

Many thanks 

47 minutes ago, Dusty said:

timber frames with more energy efficient maintenance free UPVC ones

They may not be more energy efficient as far as frames are concerned, so make sure you know what you are actually buying. A good frame with a good double glazing unit will be Uw 1.2 the same glazing unit in a bad frame could be Uw 2.0. They will quite two figures  Ug and Uw the g just covers the glazing - W covers the whole window heat loss.

We renovated an old house in a conservation area and we were not allowed to install uPVC. So check before you buy.

OK thanks John.

Anything will be more energy efficient than the draughty ones I currently have.

You are right , however I don't require planning permission so will not discuss options with the conservation team. Many houses have had replacement UPVC windows in the area and the local council has not insisted they should be replaced with wooden ones.

For the same cash you will get much better performance and less mainstream from uPVC than timber or Aluminium or Aluclad. Cheap uPVC are pants though.

High quality ironmongery and careful fitting are just as important as the frames. We have Veka 82 profiles with WinkHaus ironmongery T&T. 

Not flush fit but good quality and reasonably priced.

We liked the look of casement windows We bought one casement window for the back of the workshop My worry was that they totally rely on one seal to keep the weather out 

Posted (edited)

I have flush casement windows from deceuninck, got them for a great price and they look amazing compared to standard UPVC.

This is the site with brochure on https://www.heritagewindowcollection.co.uk/the-collection/flush-sash-windows/#

Some people pay extra for the residence 7/9's where you cannot see the welds. But I find that uneccessary unless trying to make them look as close to being wood as possible.

Edited by Lofty718

Posted (edited)

We used Eurocell Flush casement.

They do a "heritage version" which means there is an extra cross member fitted in the middle.  There is a higher proportion of frame to glass, than in more modern looking desigins.  so you may need to take that into account, especially on small windows.

As an aside the Z4 is for sale for a very reasonable price.

image.thumb.png.1125a29212581e734ef8132178f3a43c.png

Edited by Blooda
  • Haha 1

On 12/05/2024 at 22:49, DevilDamo said:

What type… casement, sash? If the latter, this is a product I have specified in the past…

https://www.roseview.co.uk/products/ultimate-rose/

They look the business but unfortunately the performance is poor. I've been in a new build with all the airtightness measures and MVHR but these windows made it drafty and cold. You could feel a breeze from the brush seal on a windy night.

Best stick to triple gasketed and triple glazed units in my opinion.