Ferdinand

Is there a rule of thumb as to the weight of a digger itself, related to the "1 ton", "1.5 ton", "3 ton" etc class it is in?

If I am planning a digger, and want to be able to tow it, how much of my towing weight will it account for?

eg a Kubota KLX41-3V is a "1.5 ton" digger which quotes approx 1600kg as an "operating weight" excluding operator, which is presumably how much it will add to my trailer.

https://www.kubota.com/product/kx41/pdf/kx41_spec.pdf

Clearly extra buckets, muddy tracks etc add weight (or are they included), but I'm after a little more clarity and a little less fog.

Thanks

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

The answer is usually it's the operating weight give or take a bit. 

JCB are the most accurate with their model specs - the 8018 is approx 1.8 tonnes, and so on. 

It also depends on the model additions as it's usually the base unit with roll cage that is the class - for example the new Bobcat comes with an option of a heated cab with lots of toys and that adds over 250kg to the base model. 

Spec Guide is a US site but is helpful on a lot of the models we have over here too - also useful for working out how big they are to transport !

http://www.specguideonline.com/search/compact-excavators

When you get into the 3T range you're out of the normal limits on the standard C+E licence as you will need a trailer that's heading over the 1T weight to start with. Most of the plant companies use beaver tail 7.5 tonners for those anyway but even then they have to be careful as you can soon rack up the maximum limit. 

My Komatsu PC30 is nominally a "3 ton" machine but when I looked it up, it weighs 3.5 ton.  It was way outside the weight for towing with any vehicle I have access to, it must be well over 4 ton allowing for the weight of a suitable trailer.  So I just paid a local plant hire company to transport if from the seller to my plot. They came with an 11 ton beaver tail flatbed.

Towing something of that weight is virtually outside the weight limit for a normal licence. I have seen it discussed on the boating forums and it can be done with a 7.5 ton vehicle that has been de plated to a lower weight then the vehicle weight plus trailer weight is within limits, but a fully plated 7.5 tonner you would be over the limit for your licence with the trailer.

I did ask some of the car transporter and recovery companies first but they all point blank refused to even consider anything over 3 ton.

If you don't have far to move it, a local farmer will almonst certainly have a suitable trailer he can tow behind a tractor, but that was not viable for a 70 mile journey.

12 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

[...]

If I am planning a digger, and want to be able to tow it, how much of my towing weight will it account for?

e[...]

Clearly extra buckets, muddy tracks etc add weight (or are they included),

Hi,

Your logic is exactly why I chose the digger I bought 

• Weight of the trailer 480Kg (I may have remembered this wrong, but I won't be far out)
  • Weight of digger 2000 kg  (add fuel and hydraulic oil I think)
  • Buckets (dunno) 200 kg ish
  • Ramps 150 kg

Towing vehicle Land Rover, permissible towing 3500 kg

So I have a little bit spare. The key thing is to keep the all-up weight to be towed to below 2.6 tonnes: it makes the digger far more saleable. Most people who can tow, are limited by the permissible tow-weight of the towing vehicle.

• Like 1

Hmmmmm. Someone will pile in with the physics and maths of this. If a Landy can do it, so can many other vehicles I suppose. 

Nowt much special about Landies...... mine (all of them) irritates (..ed) the Hell out of me; the sloppiness in the build, the dreadful design, the leaks [in and out], but worst of all my own utter mindless stupidity in buying many. It (currently a 90) regularly ruins my back, throws a hissy, grabs me by the throat with the number of false earths, drinks diesel like an Oil Sheikh.  There are so many better designed, cheaper, more reliable Japanese equivalents. OK their fuel figures have been fixed, but hey, even Germans play that game. :$

Apart from that they're fine

Once pulled a 40ft artic with a series 3 diesel.... Low box and lots of revs !

Most amusing thing I pulled across a carpark was a Suzuki Vitara "FatBoy" after its owner who I worked with said that his was "more powerful".... One 5 tonne strop, Low 1 with 4 wheel drive engaged and I happily pulled him across the carpark whilst his spinning tyres left two black lines on the tarmac B|

2 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

Hmmmmm. Someone will pile in with the physics and maths of this. If a Landy can do it, so can many other vehicles I suppose. 

Nowt much special about Landies...... mine (all of them) irritates (..ed) the Hell out of me; the sloppiness in the build, the dreadful design, the leaks [in and out], but worst of all my own utter mindless stupidity in buying many. It (currently a 90) regularly ruins my back, throws a hissy, grabs me by the throat with the number of false earths, drinks diesel like an Oil Sheikh.  There are so many better designed, cheaper, more reliable Japanese equivalents. OK their fuel figures have been fixed, but hey, even Germans play that game. :$

Apart from that they're fine

I would agree with all of that. The specially designed leak around the window that drips down on your right foot when driving, which of course you can't move out of the way.

For all their faults (and there are many) I still like them. I regretted selling my first. I don't intend to sell this one. There was a brief period a few months back when I though our pot of money might run out before I got ther house wind and watertight so I actually advertised the Landy for sale, and felt very upset when someone enquired about buying it, but thankfully he was too far away and didn't bother.

Oh and my first Landrover was the only car I have ever sold for more than I bought it for, and this one is going up in value and is easily worth more than I paid for it.

Here's my largest "tow" though it's actually not that heavy.

caravan_6.jpg