Loft room door

TANK

Wasn't sure if this might be better in the loft conversion section or not..?

We bought the property with a loft conversion for third bedroom, but it never had a door. 

I know it needs one as part of the regs to be a bedroom, but we've put it off as son was younger and quite liked not being 'cut off' up there, but now he's older and wants the privacy (as do we tbf!), it's time for a door.

Technically I think it should be a fire door, but due to the access it's going to be hard to put anything completely orthodox up there (another reason why I've put it off)...

Am I over thinking this - can i make a basic door just to give privacy and block the noise?

You can but as you state it won't meet regs and will create an issue if you were to sell, remortgage etc and it was surveyed and the bedroom declared.

A Standard fire door blank could be used and cut to size , relatively inexpensive way to do it , really should have intumescent  etc. 

The scenario is, God forbid but what would happen and what is in place if there was actually a fire 🔥

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TANK said:

We bought the property with a loft conversion for third bedroom, but it never had a door. 

I know it needs one as part of the regs to be a bedroom

Any loft conversion that creates a 'liveable space' (i.e. one used as a room) requires Build Regulations approval. Which, in turn, will mean installing a fire doorset (not just a fire door - a tested combination of door, frame, intumescent seals, etc.).

I'm guessing that approval was never obtained, so there may be other important issues that need correcting - they may have sliced through the roof timbers to open the space, or be overloading the joists, for example. Sounds like you need to put in an application and get the situation regularised.

• Like 1

Was this not brought up when you bought the house? It should have, a family member bought a holiday home with similar, 3rd bedroom in loft with no door, it was agreed it was a 2 bed with loft storage and a drop in price. Also I bet it does not have a “method of escape window”.

Edited by joe90

I

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Would that still be certified as a fire door?

It wouldn't have certification , but might do the job perfectly well IF:

If it is a solid core fire door, and the lipping can be replaced, then intumescent strip around it.

That might all be work for a 'proper' joiner. 

At the end of that, the door, if shut,  would prevent fire from spreading. Would it be a safe space to be in though? Smoke alarms too.

And then it wouldn't be official, so there might be an issue when selling, but no worse than at present.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, joe90 said:

Was this not brought up when you bought the house? It should have, a family member bought a holiday home with similar, 3rd bedroom in loft with no door, it was agreed it was a 2 bed with loft storage and a drop in price. Also I bet it does not have a “method of escape window”.

Yes there is in easy escape route through the window to the neighbouring flat roof or down to the ground. 

• Like 1