Builder's upstand vs proprietary

Hi all.

I'm just choosing my rooflight and wondered what the consensus was on proprietary upstands vs builders upstands. As far as I can work out

Proprietary 

Pros: 

- quick to install and get watertight

- can easily demonstrate full u value to BCO 

Cons:

-if you need to replace window in future you better hope they still sell that model

- limited size options 

Builders upstand 

Pros:

- custom size

- future proof... If glass breaks the are many places you can get custom replacements from

Cons:

- Demonstrating overall u value harder

- takes longer to get watertight roof

Does anyone have any experience they could share on this ? 

Cheers.

Use Compacfoam CF200, 75mm x 100mm. From Green Building Store. Took the joiner 30 mins to do 2x roof light up stands. Might look expensive, but not paying a joiner to faff about for 1/2 a day.

Super simple, zero cold bridges. I also lined the whole space with 25mm PIR for belts and braces.

Edited by JohnMo
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Use Compacfoam CF200, 75mm x 100mm. From Green Building Store. Took the joiner 30 mins to do 2x roof light up stands. Might look expensive, but not paying a joiner to faff about for 1/2 a day.

Super simple, zero cold bridges. I also lined the whole space with 25mm PIR for belts and braces.

Cheers for the suggestion. I'll take a look. Don't suppose you have any photos? No worries if not. 

I'm leaning towards non proprietary. Especially as I can build it ahead of time so during the build I can just install it with the same speed as proprietary. 

28 minutes ago, JackOfNoTrades said:

Don't suppose you have any photos? No worries if not. 

Actually just seen that they have a video of this application on their youtube channel. Seems remarkably quick. 

1 hour ago, JohnMo said:

Compacfoam CF200, 75mm x 100mm

Did you have any pushback from your BCO about the Euroclass E fire rating on your roof? Or is it so small a percentage of the build that they are OK? 

Just now, nod said:

I wouldn’t worry to much about demonstrating U values to BC He or she won’t be interested in U Values 

Fair point. I think I have a few other areas in the build that might need the BCO's good will ... so I want to demonstrate I'm comfortably within their expectations everywhere I can. 

28 minutes ago, JackOfNoTrades said:

Did you have any pushback from your BCO about the Euroclass E fire rating on your roof? Or is it so small a percentage of the build that they are OK? 

No one asked anything. Think there was about 5m linear in total, within a 200m2 roof. Our drawing just said proprietary upstand, which have been PIR insulation so no different really.

36 minutes ago, JackOfNoTrades said:

Fair point. I think I have a few other areas in the build that might need the BCO's good will

You only show what they ask to see. My inspections were prior to mass fill of foundation concrete, prior to plasterboard and when everything finished. Could have used anything for the upstand no-one would have seen or cared (except me).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackOfNoTrades said:

Actually just seen that they have a video of this application on their youtube channel. Seems remarkably quick. 

Fair point. I think I have a few other areas in the build that might need the BCO's good will ... so I want to demonstrate I'm comfortably within their expectations everywhere I can. 

Yeah they really don’t get involved in the technical side of things 

They could go round checking thicknesses of insulation But as with most things They are checking to see it’s installed properly 

• Like 1