Filling the gap between wall & Kitchen Units

richo106

Good Afternoon

I am finally getting round to decorating and I am really unsure on how to finish up to my built in kitchen tall units

I have attached a couple of pictures to show you what i mean, the issue is there a small gap all the way round from my units to the wall. It varys from 1mm to 3mm in different places

I can't imagine I can just leave the gap, do I try and put a straight bit of frog tape and then caulk, remove tape when wet. Then paint but I am guessing at that

Any ideas or suggestions would be very welcome!

Kitchen Units - Gap.jpg

Kitchen Units.jpg

As opposed to caulk I’d personally go for a colour matched silicone sealant, either matched with the units, or the wall colour.

One risk with silicone is that paint doesn't stick to it so if you end up with even a thin smear left on the adjacent wall and want to paint that wall in future you may have issues.

Only because of that risk I'd go with CT-1 smoothed with a square cornered silicone profiling tool and then paint it.

Have a similar problem.

My idea was

1) to get some Rothley White Plastic Angle 2000mm x 10mm x 10mm - Screwfix 

2) Got the RAL colour from the kitchen supplier and painted them the correct colour, having got paint mixed at Crown.

3) Fit to the wall - There is enough bend in it to take it up to the wall.

I got as far as 2 a couple of years ago - but never got to 3, they are awaiting fitting. :)

Do you intend to paint the wood frame white? Why didn’t you get framing to match the cabinets? We originally had wood coloured framing to match the island but it looked daft (unfinished) so I removed it and got the kitchen supplier to send me a few lengths of plinth in the same colour as the cabinets. This has completely changed the look of the cabinets as they now look properly built in. 

I had a smaller gap to fill but just used white caulk. Yet to paint it. 

IMG_1804.thumb.jpeg.2ca6b8860d40eec2108722aa3684d2f6.jpeg