Block and beam floor

Can you lay blockwork on top of block and beam floor to create a wall partition, they will not be load bearing just on single storey with flat roof aboce. I want to subdivided the floor area into 3 separate rooms.
Edited by vik2001

Yes you can, we have full block walls internally throughout on block and beam. Double check with SE to be extra safe. We didn't use thermalite.

3 minutes ago, Andehh said:

Yes you can, we have full block walls internally throughout on block and beam. Double check with SE to be extra safe. We didn't use thermalite.

So u just laid the blocks straight on top of the beam up to roof level?

I have done a feature brickwork fireplace directly off beam and block.  The floor designer specified multiple beams for that section - something like 10 together.  We could have done extra footings for similar cost.

I wouldn't unless it was calculated at design stage. I have built non load bearing  walls off double or treble beams but the loads were designed in.

The floor....

You can have blocks on a Block and beam flooring, though check with your SE.

Ours ceilings are also between 3.2 and 4.2m high, though only a structural spine wall sits on the subwall/where the beams sit it.

All spec'd from design stages.

Screenshot_20240406_174412_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Andehh

We did have very very big beams though!!! With only a single subwall down the middle. Ground crews joked we were building a skyscraper, they hadn't seen beams as big in a house.

Edited by Andehh
  • Like 1

Have a question on 1 side of the wall the builder hasn't built a inner leaf, he's using the concrete beam to act as the inner leaf to build the inner wall off. Is this OK to do?

Screenshot_20240406_185002_Gallery.jpg

20 minutes ago, vik2001 said:

Have a question on 1 side of the wall the builder hasn't built a inner leaf, he's using the concrete beam to act as the inner leaf to build the inner wall off. Is this OK to do?

Screenshot_20240406_185002_Gallery.jpg

If the beam is supported along its length you will be fine, if it only supported at the ends you are not at all fine.

This will be a cavity wall and the beam.is only supported at the ends, there is nothing supporting it below. It's a single storey wall 3m in length.  

What should I tell the builder?

Show him my picture above, though maybe not this thread (avoid pissing him off by showing how much you distrust his work...) and ask him why 'my' picture has the beams sitting on the inner leaf and a cavity built out from them.

Ill try and get you a batter picture.

Edit...

That being said, I don't think it's fixable without breaking out the brick wall and laying it again further out.... If your foundations are wide enough to do so. I'm also not sure what the 'issue' is with what he did other then a smaller cavity depth cavity (work hard to keep it cleaned of mortar dropping in)

Edited by Andehh

For the edges I remember them laying a half brick down on the outside, then the block was supported by the beam on the inside and this half brick in the outside. Then again same done between the beams around the outside.

I guess technically this means my inner cavity walls are sitting on the blocks, but these blocks are sitting on a half brick for the core of the strength.

Sort of see them in this pic here.

Screenshot_20240407_074007_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Andehh
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I would arrange to meet with Building Control on site.  Let them break the news to the "builder".

Even better idea!

Thanks I will get BC to check at dpc /oversite stage which is when thr next inspection is due. Thr builder is calling BC as he organised them it'd a privste inspector.

Is it true that pictures are sent to BC as well In Some cases or do they have to come out to site, just want to make sure builder doesn't send pics which I've heard some people say can happen.