Living the dream.

Structural steel is good for big open areas. Once you have gone that direction, your division walls are taking no load and can sit them on the slab.

Lightweight steel construction is similar in cost to timber frame but is less forgiving / friendly to work with.

But for your narrow span you don't have big spaces, and I would exoect to go with timber.

• 5 months later...

Hi Again !

So we now have planning on this...

Sailed through with no objections and very few conditions. :) 

Currently working with an Architectural Designer and SE to get the construction details correct for Building Regs submission and finance costing approval.

Still looking at £1-1.2k per mas a cost guide. Mostly self built with some trades (e.g zinc roofing)

We're leaning toward leaving the current slab totally undisturbed and dropping an insulated raft foundation on top. Tying this to the icf walls and topping off with a cut/SIP's roof. The roof is probably our main discussion point at present as we're torn between scissor trusses along the length of the building or just a plain open vault. Also much discussion about the support required for the structural openings...SE wants to do Steel (understandable), I like Amdeck or similar.

Decisions.....Decisions....

Lots of aspects need to be clarified such as how to bring services and waste pipework up though the raft foundation when we're sat on a concrete slab as opposed to traditional earth/subase. I think we may have to channel out the slab just for these, as we don't seem able to maintain falls if we place it within the Raft foundation EPS.

Happy days !

Chicken Farm.png

20240323_133315.jpg

Crosslands Farm 040624 redacted .pdf

Edited by Selexus
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, mjc55 said:

a lot of glass on your north elevation!

Also, solar panels on the North elevation?

Yes. probably too much from a heat loss perspective, but my ocd needs to keep the building symmetrical along its axis :( 

No, Solar will be along the south facing roof only..... (goes away to check my plans are correct).

4 minutes ago, Selexus said:

Yes. probably too much from a heat loss perspective, but my ocd needs to keep the building symmetrical along its axis :( 

No, Solar will be along the south facing roof only..... (goes away to check my plans are correct).

The plan shows them on North facing roof along with roof lights!

Although they are not shown on elevations only roof plan.

I think your plant room is too small and wrongly placed, if you are having vaulted ceilings you need to work out a plan of how to get services to all the areas of the house. 
for example you will need 2x90mm ducts to the far master bed, how will you get these across the living area. 
the plant is located at the end where the glasshouse and garage are, but neither of these will require much from the plant room. 
just a thought lots of planning needed, it’s easy to draw a pretty picture, but trying to build it can soon tear chunks out of that picture trying to get the services from A to B. 

11 minutes ago, mjc55 said:

The plan shows them on North facing roof along with roof lights!

Although they are not shown on elevations only roof plan.

Ah....got it. Labels are incorrect on the diagram. Thanks for noticing, I'll change that and reissue.

9 minutes ago, Benpointer said:

A very interesting and inspiring project - good luck!

I'm thinking that a zinc roof will eat a big chunk out of that £1-1.2k/m2 budget.  How much do reckon on for the roof per m2?

Glazing and roof, and going to be challenging from a budget perspective. Not insurmountable but we may have to compromise (more fixed glazing less openers. cut roof rather than SIPS. etc, etc) . Let see.

9 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I think your plant room is too small and wrongly placed, if you are having vaulted ceilings you need to work out a plan of how to get services to all the areas of the house. 
for example you will need 2x90mm ducts to the far master bed, how will you get these across the living area. 
the plant is located at the end where the glasshouse and garage are, but neither of these will require much from the plant room. 
just a thought lots of planning needed, it’s easy to draw a pretty picture, but trying to build it can soon tear chunks out of that picture trying to get the services from A to B. 

Plant room is 3mx2m. would you not consider this adequate ? As for placing, yes it's not optimal, but considering the layout compromises we would have to undergo to move it I'm pretty sure we're going to have to live with it. Can you see another position on the plan that would suffice ?

9 minutes ago, Selexus said:

Ah....got it. Labels are incorrect on the diagram. Thanks for noticing, I'll change that and reissue.

A North indicator would help (and would be required for a planning app!)

2 minutes ago, mjc55 said:

A North indicator would help (and would be required for a planning app!)

Both Block and landscaping plans have North indicators. It's just this elevations and layout drawing that had the wrong labels.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Selexus said:

Plant room is 3mx2m. would you not consider this adequate ? As for placing, yes it's not optimal, but considering the layout compromises we would have to undergo to move it I'm pretty sure we're going to have to live with it. Can you see another position on the plan that would suffice ?

Are you having mvhr, I would presume so.

have a look at the units and the ductwork going to them. Then you have a cylinder and all associated manifolds. 
if the mvhr is going somewhere else then it’s plenty big enough. 

37 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Are you having mvhr, I would presume so.

have a look at the units and the ductwork going to them. Then you have a cylinder and all associated manifolds. 
if the mvhr is going somewhere else then it’s plenty big enough. 

We (she/her/the management/swmbo/etc) debated this some time ago. Eventually we decided not to go with MVHR. With all that glazing that will be opening and closing on a regular basis it didn't seem worth the expenditure.

Water, waste and electricals is all we need to run.

We're considering having the UFH manifolds in the cloakroom behind the kitchen. That's very central and would make pipe runs more manageable?

28 minutes ago, Selexus said:

We (she/her/the management/swmbo/etc) debated this some time ago. Eventually we decided not to go with MVHR. With all that glazing that will be opening and closing on a regular basis it didn't seem worth the expenditure.

Water, waste and electricals is all we need to run.

We're considering having the UFH manifolds in the cloakroom behind the kitchen. That's very central and would make pipe runs more manageable?

I think ditching MVHR is a big miss.  It's been a revelation in our current (major refurb) home.  It's the first thing we pencilled in for the new house.

Ours runs at 58 watts (that's for a 170m2 house).