Scottish building warrant, anyone know the max bend radius of 110mm sewer pipe.

My architect tells me I need an inspection chamber after every change of direction. He seems to think it doesn't matter if it is only a 15 degree joint it will still need a chamber. This doesn't sound right as a mild bend should not cause any issue for drainage rod/jetter system to clear any blockages.

Anyone know the Scottish rules for this? I would guess a max bend of something like 35 degrees.

It think the rules just literally say at "change of direction"

On my first build, it was not possible to dig the trench right where we wanted it so we had to have a shallow in line bend, and there was much sucking through teeth from the BC inspector who said I really shouldn't allow that, but he did in the end.

• Thanks 1

There used to be an English rule against any change of direction between rodding chambers, but it was dropped. As long as its roddable I think its OK.  And I think the Scottish rules are less prescriptive altogether. 

I'd need to check.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, gavztheouch said:

How does it work with the warrant system. Can I phone them up and query stuff like this?

Yes there should be a duty BC officer available to take queries but his answer will be to the book, only your normal attending officer can "interpret" the rules in a more flexible way.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, gavztheouch said:

How does it work with the warrant system. Can I phone them up and query stuff like this?

You will have a nominated person in BC to do your inspections etc. he would be your first port of call. But he may say what I say below.

But once you have submitted warrant drawings and they have been approved, i.e. you have been given your building warrant, any change to the design and approved drawings has to be approved by BC. I had a couple of things not per drawings and had to submit new drawings for approval.

But I was also told by my architect and by our ground works contractors that zero bends were allowed, any change of direction was via an inspection chamber only.

I was wrong above.    It does still say it in the English regs so it will be the same as they both refer to the same British Standard.

Document H. Clause 2.49.

Access should be provided at....a bend and at a change of gradient.. 

38 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Access should be provided at....a bend and at a change of gradient.. 

So it boils down to the definition of a "bend"  Certainly 90 or even 45 degrees is a "bend"  but 15 degrees?

Should be provided. Not must.

The basic building regs are that drains should work and be roddable. 

Thus a 15° bend shouldn't  be a problem in real life. 

If the bend can be immediately at the access chamber then it becomes a non issue. Use one out and one in and a straight run between?

This is something to ask the bco.

I pointed out a couple 11.25/22.5⁰ bends I had inbetween two chambers to BCO, said no additional chamber needed as could be rodded from either direction. Also happy with a 22.5⁰ vertical bend right before a chamber as was within 2m and easily checked.