Introduction

Grsz

Hi!

im in the process of buying my first house, and I’m planning to do a lot of DIY work on it - landscaping, flooring, kitchen work to make it our own.

• Like 1

Good Afternoon, 

Hope you enjoy the experience.  Lots of good advise on here.. I'l start :)

Set up an separate email for the project like GrszHome @ something.com - use this for contacting suppliers and anything, this keeping all the junk mail trying to sell you stuff for the next 10 years and beyond separate.

Try to get a trade card from Wickes [10%] if you are not in a trade, you may be able to gat a bar code from someone and put it into stocard app. Sometimes through work [blue light or perks at work or similar] you can get an extra 3-7% of by buying a prepaid charge card.

If a subby says he can get the stuff cheaper, they more than likely can't. A couple of hours googling at night  and a few phone call, can save ££££.

All the best

• Like 1

Hello and welcome! I hope the house buying process is as painless as possible.

10 minutes ago, Blooda said:

Set up an separate email for the project like GrszHome @ something.com - use this for contacting suppliers and anything, this keeping all the junk mail trying to sell you stuff for the next 10 years and beyond separate.

This is a great point, following on from this don't forget you can setup a catch all address quite easily. You can then give out a different email to each supplier and sort their responses automatically into folders. It has been very helpful for us.

E.g. acmeplumbingfirm@example.com or mvhr@example.com

It is also useful for ongoing bills e.g. powerbill@example.com or waterbill@example.com

Welcome, I reiterate advice to shop around.

B&Q tradepoint card also worthwhile. Generally most expensive place, but now and again they have a few lost leaders and cheaper than most. E.g. they had sheets of 18mm ply a good bit cheaper than anywhere else during the pandemic. And I picked up decking screws last week, £23 for 1000 after tradepoint discount. Next cheapest place was £32. Insualtion deals are good as well. And of course they are open on a Sunday....

Buy what you can on a credit card to get the Section 75 protection.

I have, in the past, renovated while living in the property.

It can be horrible.

Make sure you have at least a decent working shower and bog at all times.

A shed is useful as well.

Edited by SteamyTea

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Buy what you can on a credit card to get the Section 75 protection.

This law (part of the Consumer Credit Act 1974) protects you if you use your credit card to buy something costing over £100 and up to £30,000

Depending on what you are buying you might need to structure your payment into two smaller payments. 

43 minutes ago, NailBiter said:

Depending on what you are buying you might need to structure your payment into two smaller payments. 

Yes we purchased our windows as two packages, ground floor and first floor, as the total was over £30k to ensure we got the cover as we had to pay it all up front at some stage or another. 

• Like 1

Don't forget it doesn't have to be the full amount that's paid on the credit card to be eligible for protection...

Section 75 applies if:

• you paid some or all the cost by credit card, with a point-of-sale loan, or with certain catalogue shopping accounts
  • the cash price of the goods or services is more than £100 but not more than £30,000

It’s important to note that: 

• it's the cash price of the goods or services that matters, not what you paid on your credit card or loan – for example, Section 75 applies even if you only made part of the payment using credit

• Like 1