GRP sheet roofing

Gone West

@SteamyTea Following on from the other thread, where we were discussing using GRP sheets for flat roofing. I was wondering what would be the best thickness for that application. Also, if I wanted the flat roof (say 1.5 degree slope) to be just under the level of the existing main roof how would that be done? If I were laying EPDM I would continue it up under the main roof tiles, are suitable GRP sheets flexible enough to be able to bend up a 30 degree slope under the main roof tiles?

1 hour ago, Gone West said:

wondering what would be the best thickness for that application.

Do you mean the substrate thickness or the GRP thickness?

Substrate is really down to if it is walked on a lot and what snow and wind loadings happen, same as any sarking really.

GRP is best at about 3mm before any finish coating. I would usually do this with 3 layers of 450 g/m² matting.

are suitable GRP sheets flexible enough to be able to bend up a 30 degree slope under the main roof tiles

No. GRP, is basically inflexible.

If the angle is known then a trim piece can be moulded and attached, then bonded in place.

Alternatively a thin sheet of just GRP can be moulded, cut to the right size to fit under the original roof, but over the new flat roof sheets, then locally bonded.

It may be better if I draw something up when I get home. It is drizzling today so not going to be oggling bathing beauties on the beach.

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Do you mean the substrate thickness or the GRP thickness

GRP is best at about 3mm before any finish coating.

The GRP thickness, I was thinking 3mm sounds about right.

No. GRP, is basically inflexible.

If the angle is known then a trim piece can be moulded and attached, then bonded in place.

So with an old house the angle may change along the wall, so it's sounding more complicated than using EPDM, which would be easier.

So with an old house the angle may change along the wall, so it's sounding more complicated than using EPDM, which would be easier.

If you could nail a thin sheet of ply to it, then it can be coated in-situ.

44 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I wouldn't want to do any fibre glassing on the roof. I wonder why someone hasn't come up with a resin that uses moisture to set, like PU glue.

4 minutes ago, Gone West said:

I wouldn't want to do any fibre glassing on the roof. I wonder why someone hasn't come up with a resin that uses moisture to set, like PU glue.

They have.

I think @Onoff used some on his roof.

I have some details about it somewhere.

I think this stuff is similar.

https://www.topseal.co.uk/topseal-pu/

One Day I would like to try some out and see what it can do.

Edited by SteamyTea

5 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I think this stuff is similar.

Thanks, it looks good, I've bookmarked it, it's a pity only their installers can fit it. "Topseal PU is only available to Topseal Approved Contractors and not available off the shelf."

Not me. I used single pack, paint on Chromapol. 

20190626_173424

20240218_122109

Tbh I've thrown probably several hundred Pounds at this over the years. The felt roof was knackered before I put this paint on. It's fibrous, the idea it reinforces itself.

I'd be interested to see how it performed on say a new, OSB sheeted roof.

The stuff I'm considering when I redo the roof is Desmopol. As used successfully by someone. I asked the other week how it was standing up. Wait one and I'll find the thread.

@Gone West

look up owl roofing, it’s a brush on membrane that cures with moisture, I think they reinforce it with a roll of cloth just like fibreglass without the weather problems. 
it uses the same fibreglass edge trims. 
when I did mine I got a trim that tucked under the tiles. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Gone West said:
17 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

I can recommend the Everbuild Aquaseal. I used it because it was a single coat application. I looked others, but priming and top coating would extend the job time. I put on a double coat of fibre glass, the second at 90 degrees to the first, then two more coats. It UV resistant out of the can, whereas other products need a top coat. I used it on a pitch change on our Kingspan Quad-Core metal roof. The professional roofer had attempted a fiberglass joint  which blew off in the wind, it was worse than useless. I  would definitely use this on a flat roof if it had to. Everbuild technical support were very helpful. 

https://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect.co.uk/everbuild-aquaseal-liquid-roof-membrane-coating-21kg-grey-aqliqrfgy21?language=en-gb&currency=GBP&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw48-vBhBbEiwAzqrZVIIoeVRo2Uq_AorAxtICel9dYxZNqqNpzFaSn7J-g7lzr8sZM2PNrRoCrEcQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tuftythesquirrel said:

I put on a double coat of fibre glass

Did you use the Everbuild Aquaseal instead of polyester resin?

This is where my knowledge breaks down.  I have used many different resins with glass, aramid, boron and carbon fibres, as well as natural fibres like jute, hemp, cotton and cellulose.

But apart from injected PU resins, I have never hand laid with PU resins.

It is something I want to experiment with one day.

The price of the Aquaseal seems pretty good.

4 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Did you use the Everbuild Aquaseal instead of polyester resin?

I was only  looking for a waterproof, easily applied, durable covering. I've got an in built aversion to anything two pack. That is, manufacturers instructions say 30 minutes gel time and you're 15 minutes in and it's started to gel and your brush is stuck to the roof, mould or anything else you are using it on. This product is is way more flexible than polyester resin, even with multiple layers of fibre in it and you've much, much longer to get it on the substrate, literally hours. I've coated a piece of internal floorboard and left it outside 18 months ago (in the sun and rain etc.) and it still looks like I just put it on. 

2 hours ago, tuftythesquirrel said:

I was only  looking for a waterproof, easily applied, durable covering. I've got an in built aversion to anything two pack. That is, manufacturers instructions say 30 minutes gel time and you're 15 minutes in and it's started to gel and your brush is stuck to the roof, mould or anything else you are using it on. This product is is way more flexible than polyester resin, even with multiple layers of fibre in it and you've much, much longer to get it on the substrate, literally hours. I've coated a piece of internal floorboard and left it outside 18 months ago (in the sun and rain etc.) and it still looks like I just put it on. 

Iwould ring everbuild tech to see if it is happy going onto damp OSB

7 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

Iwould ring everbuild tech to see if it is happy going onto damp OSB

The paint on one I used last I'm sure used to say can be applied to damp surfaces. They've I think changed the can wording to on the lines it can be but better if the substrate is dry.

1 hour ago, tuftythesquirrel said:

I've used these and the Everbuild Aquaseal is a much better (different) product, much more durable. TDS says "no rising moisture?

I've definitely got rising moisture. The substrate aka felt is totally shot.

Mind the other side is worse, I've just slung a bit of weighted down DPM over the whole lot.

20200613_142115