Finding a contractor

Barny

So we have spent 18 months getting planning, SE and BC approval. It is a 320m timber frame aiming for passivhaus house. We have gone out to tender to 6 firms who were interested initially. Now I have sent the 52 drawings the architect has done to get BC approval, no-one willing to quote. We are using MBC for frame and GBS for windows and I have listed some other preferred suppliers for aluminium roof, renewals, MVHR and kitchen/flooring. The feedback is despite being very keen 3 weeks ago they are now super busy or the project is suddenly too small (I think they mean because the frame etc is being done by someone else even though I did tell them this last year when doing my initial vetting).

the architect lead us down the path of a super detailed tender process which seems to have been a waste of several months not to mention the £££. But to be fair we did need all the details for the BC.

any advice on how to find a contractor  for the wrap around of a timber frame? Whilst I don’t mind project managing I have no practical experience or skills whatsoever so need to outsource the actual work to people who can work off the very detailed plans.

ps the foundations are Tetris block and beam for the passive.

3 hours ago, Barny said:

the architect lead us down the path of a super detailed tender process which seems to have been a waste of several months not to mention the £££

I feel your pain.

We went through a similar time wasting exercise in 2022 with our architect insisting that the project must go out to tender and we spent a fortune on mostly crap advice that our architect talked us into paying for to put out a very detailed tender.

When my patience finally ran out I sent my architect an email with the subject 'six months of crapness' and suggested taking a different approach to building our house.

He responded by telling me that if I don't appoint and hand over total control to a main contractor then that makes me a self builder, he doesn't work with self builders and his firm does not work with self builders. 

We then ditched the tender process and found a local builder from recommendations and pay him on an open book basis on a phased approach. This isn't for everyone but works far better for us.  We want to stay involved and have some oversight.  The builder likes it because he has less risk. 

If the tender process is not working then bin the tender and try to find a local guy on recommendation who can project manage and get good trades on an open book basis.  

Given you have a detailed breakdown of what needs to be done you can pull out the individual packages of work and start getting quotes for each bit from local contractors rather than all trades builders. It’s what I did which took months itself so I’d get cracking on with it. Just work out the order things need to be done to give people rough timelines. Be prepared for these timelines to shift a lot though. It’s daunting but once you get the main trades lined up and going it gets easier. 

One thing for you to be mindful of going this way is that there are lots of overlapping elements which can create gaps. i.e. the joiner can’t complete 100% of a particular job because the plumber needs to do xyz. There’s a lot of back and forth. A single contractor would generally just manage this and you’d never be aware of it. As PM you will be managing this and getting trades back can be hard at times. Consequently you end up doing increasingly more yourself to keep the job moving forward. 

• Like 1

It probably is to small and specific for most companies to tender for 

You know what you want So bring in individual companies as you go

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Barny said:

the 52 drawings the architect has done

Be prepared that trades may not follow every detail! They tend to do what is normal practice, occasionally referring to the drawings for critical dimensions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bonner said:

trades may not follow every detail!

Few builders are skilled in reading drawings. Some don't even try.

Having 52 drawings would be off-putting for anyone though.

If the architect knew you were getting the frame and roof and windows elsewhere I cannot see what all these drawings are for...and there isn't much left for other contractors except as individual trades as and when.

And the architect seems to want a main contractor to pick up the pieces, at your expense.

I feel you are at the end of the road with the architect.

Now you need a groundworker. The rest may follow by word of mouth.

We had something similar, an MBC frame but with their foundations. Windows were outside the remit of the builder and there were a lot of items which we supplied, e.g. sanitary ware, rooflights etc.

This was during the pandemic but we did manage to find a builder to do the groundworks. MBC did their thing and Express Windows fitted the windows and sliding doors. When it came to the tender for finishing the build, the only quote we had was from the original builder, everyone else was too busy with projects on the books (larger companies) or too busy building to quote (smaller companies).  We managed through some compromises and the efforts of our architect to get the price to something workable and we're very pleased with the result. The drawings were important as the build progressed to check that things had been done according to the specs.  Should add, the architect is our son, so there was no sacking him off....  

Simon

PS to the last post - you need to scour the area for newish self builds - go and ask them who did their build - they'll soon tell you if they are happy or not and what went well or badly.   It's best to knock on their door but if you can't, send them a letter.

Simon

Thanks all. I was already thinking I needed to get a ground worker in. I am desperate to get started on services given the lead time with the utility companies.

unfortunately there are not many new builds around here and we have already got in touch with all of those builders. 

can anyone recommend a ground worker for a timber frame near Peterborough?

JCH Groundworks would be a good starting point getting them to quote as they also own grab and tipper lorries, so can do muck away and supply agrigates in bulk which you will need for your drainage work etc.

I've found the bigger companies to be more competitive than one man band outfits, plus they can supply crushed concrete, road plannings, screened top soil etc at £260 for a 20t load. which a one man band can't as he will need to put his mark up on it, for arranging everything. 

12 hours ago, Barny said:

any advice on how to find a contractor  for the wrap around of a timber frame?

I tried this approach or something similar at least, i wanted a builder to take us from  weathertight to completion. Initial interest along the lines of ' we are very keen to work more with Potton and can offer great prices' .  They quoted £432k !!  

Another company quoted £299k to take us from weathertight to complete.

Bear in mind we would be at frame erected, roof tiles on, windows and doors in. For a 200 sq metre build.

Still finalising each trade on a one by one approach..

1 hour ago, Barny said:

Thanks all. I was already thinking I needed to get a ground worker in. I am desperate to get started on services given the lead time with the utility companies.

unfortunately there are not many new builds around here and we have already got in touch with all of those builders. 

Ask MBC if they have any contacts for groundsworks. 

A lot of groundswork companies are quite small. All the companies I contacted were anyway. This was in Perthshire. My approach to finding a groundswork company: 

1. Drove around the area to identify any builds going on and knocked the door to ask who they used

2. Used my local network if they knew anyone 

3. Asked my local building supplies place

4. looked at adverts in local papers 

5. google

You’ll find the same companies crop up. I narrowed it down to 6 (long list) spoke to all of them which immediately ruled two out. Then did a bit more research on the other 4. I then met with 4 of them on-site which narrowed it to three and asked them to quote. All they needed to quote was the SE drawings and drainage plans. I also included some of the landscaping as it we did much of the hard landscaping at the same time as the groundswork as the machines were on-site. 

The groundswork company I used also recommended a few other trades for later in the build. 

10 hours ago, Barny said:

I dont suppose it makes a diference but what brand of TF?  Regardless, try

Heriditas Ltd

Shefford House

12 High street

Shefford

Bedfordshire

SG17 5DD

heriditas@hotmail.com