Rusting on external render.

TheMitchells

Can anyone give me suggestions for covering the rust showing on the corners of our front porch, in the render?  I plan to give it a coat of white paint to freshen it up but assume if I just paint over the rust, it will soon show up.  Its on most of the corners both at the front of the hosue on the porch and at the back on the kitchen extension.    I wondered about Hammerite as better it has a slightly different shade of white than the rust.  Or could I then paint over it?

DSC_1918.thumb.JPG.6d9fe499d7c21d87edef9e1c62e1d57b.JPG

I reckon they didn't originally use stainless steel render beads!

I had that on a corner of an extension and ended up hacking it off and fitting a st/st bead. Anything else will just delay the rust.

The problem with steel rusting under render is that the steel expands when it corrodes and the render will crack. On my last house someone had fitted a steel bracket in the mortar between bricks. The bracket had broken off and been pointed over and over the years it rusted and pushed the brick out around 1/4".

If you can get the paint off it then give it a coat of Jenolite to convert the rust. Decent metal primer over the top and a coat of masonry paint should be ok. Don’t use Hammerite as nothing sticks to it so you’ll end up with a stripe on each piece that will make it look worse. 

This normally happens where external scuffing has occurred so just make sure the render and corner bead aren’t damaged. 

• Thanks 2