Neighbours meeting at site visit

Hi there

we are planning a new build in our back garden. Currently waiting on planning decision and case officer has just informed us he is visiting site. He has said he doesn’t need us to be in for site visit as can gain access via an unlocked gate. However, he has also informed us he is meeting on the same day with a group of neighbours in a single meeting. This is significantly after the consultation (and due decision) date and I  am obviously worried they now have his ear yet we don’t get any opportunity to meet him, know what they’ve said or have any chance to reply to any additional comments. 

This seems wrong to me when every other part of the process seems so prescriptive. I’ve searched and searched but can’t find any guidance document from my LPA that is relevant to guide me on what the correct procedure should be. 

can anyone shed any light on this?

Very strange. Are they meeting to discuss your application, or are they in the process of an application too?

From my experience LPAs have a limit on the timeframe of when comments can be made - but might be different across the UK. 

If all else fails, ask to join the meeting.

17 minutes ago, AppleDown said:

Very strange. Are they meeting to discuss your application, or are they in the process of an application too?

From my experience LPAs have a limit on the timeframe of when comments can be made - but might be different across the UK. 

If all else fails, ask to join the meeting.

Our application! And we tried to dictate the time so we could join but their preference of time was taken. It means we are unable to join meeting due to work commitments. 

29 minutes ago, Bournbrook said:

And we tried to dictate the time so we could join

Sounds very fishy to me. I would want to be represented, have you a trusted friend, relative or colleague you could ask to attend on your behalf? Or one of the professionals involved on yr side, planning consultant, surveyor, architect?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharpener said:

Sounds very fishy to me. I would want to be represented, have you a trusted friend, relative or colleague you could ask to attend on your behalf? Or one of the professionals involved on yr side, planning consultant, surveyor, architect?

Yup, it stinks! Defo get a friend or family member there howsoever you achieve this. Have them record sound on a mobile device so you don't miss anything important.

9 hours ago, Bournbrook said:

Our application! And we tried to dictate the time so we could join but their preference of time was taken. It means we are unable to join meeting due to work commitments. 

take an hour or two off.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bournbrook said:

This is significantly after the consultation (and due decision) date

My recollection is that the consultation date is the latest date by which you can submit comments and guarantee that they will be heard, but there's nothing to stop comments being considered after that date.

I think you or a trusted friend being there to take notes would be highly desirable.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bournbrook said:

can anyone shed any light on this?

Exactly that happened to us.

Result - PP was awarded. Planners are used to neighbourhood grouches. I defer to @jack above - in addition to what he says, Planners are duty bound to make a fair representation of the spread of comments: for and against. 

• Like 1

Presumably you have checked on the LA web site what written objections the neighbours have made? This will give you pointers to the likely tone of the site meeting and give you a chance to prepare your rebuttals.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sharpener said:

Presumably you have checked on the LA web site what written objections the neighbours have made? This will give you pointers to the likely tone of the site meeting and give you a chance to prepare your rebuttals.

Oh yes. And have already sent the case officer a lengthy document disproving their claims. But I worry new ones will be made we can’t refute as we won’t know what they are!

4 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

Exactly that happened to us.

Result - PP was awarded. Planners are used to neighbourhood grouches. I defer to @jack above - in addition to what he says, Planners are duty bound to make a fair representation of the spread of comments: for and against. 

Very useful to know. 

dod you ever receive any information about what comments were made at that meeting??

5 minutes ago, Bournbrook said:

Oh yes. And have already sent the case officer a lengthy document disproving their claims. But I worry new ones will be made we can’t refute as we won’t know what they are!

I am sure that the planning officer will feedback anything that hasn't already been considered by the objectors and your application. Maybe an email after the meeting to the planning officer saying something like 'Unfortunately i couldn't attend due to work commitments, please could you let me know the details of the meeting and any areas you may require further clarification on'

It is a shame that you can't be there, but just remember that any objections will have to be a material planning concern to be considered. I know its a nervy time, but i think that the meeting will be just a bunch of hot wind if they want to complain. If not the planning officer should feedback to you about anything else that is a concern. We had 3-4 neighbours put in objections and it was granted as we did all we needed to do to satisfy planning.

Edited by Moonshine
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bournbrook said:

dod you ever receive any information about what comments were made at that meeting??

Yes.

Directly - orally - from the Officer concerned - but a month or so later.  

And when we got PP , the neighbour concerned nailed our access gate shut. The access gate serves our right of way across his garden. 

... I am worried ... they  now have his ear...

Could I suggest you swop worry about the outcome with real busy-ness doing something else.  Unless the issue is Material to the planning Application, the comment is likely to be irrelevant (Immaterial)

Here, have a bit of a titter on me (PS : it really hurt - read on)

I think I would echo back to him in an email what he said to you in advance of the meeting so it’s all documented. You can express your surprise and ask what the purpose of the meeting is and whether he will be documenting the outcome. There’s nothing like a bit of transparency to focus the mind. Great if you can have someone attend to note the content for you.