No planning

Posted (edited)

I thought if you go up a storey above ground floor then you need to keep 1m boundary.

With a single side storey you could even in theory sign a party wall agreement to go up the boundary.

Also my side extension is at the back of the house, it won't be at the front of the house. Not sure if that counts,  But I guess it all comes down to the planners 

Edited by vik2001

The 1m gap is down to your LPA’s policies. Policies only kick in for non-PD works.

The PWA doesn’t have anything to do with Planning. If you’re excavating within 3m of a neighbouring building and the foundations will be deeper than those to your neighbours, you will be required to serve a Party Wall Notice.

It doesn’t matter where the extension is located. Those that require Planning are checked against policies. Those that do not comply will be refused.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I checked my LPA building guidelines for side extensions, and have attached the below. It seems I have to maintain a 300mm gap from boundary for a ground floor only extension, as im not going above ground level. This has brought me some relief if I have read it correctly.

Screenshot_20240310_180053_SamsungNotes.thumb.jpg.930675ab2460d8c0a4a949289b8299d2.jpg

Edited by vik2001

It also says “wherever possible”. There are ways to build close to the boundary without foundations, soffits or gutters overhanging. So if that can be proved to the LPA (where there are situations with less than 300mm), then that should be acceptable.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Is it worth me emailing the planners to open some dialogue to say about my situation. side wall is wide open and exposed, and we halted all work due to having to now put in PLanning permission.  Could it help in them looking at my case a bit earlier? I'm really stressed now because I'm in temporary accommodation till this gets sorted.

Edited by vik2001

As above, you can try. But don’t expect them to expedite the process just because you have realised you need Planning. In the nicest possible way, that isn’t their fault and there are processes to follow. It can take up to 8 weeks, even longer.

• Like 1

Yea I drop them a email to explain the situation to see if they can possibly help in anyway. 

What a pickle I got myself in, but I learnt my lesson which is always find out about getting the right advice from the correct people.

I think they’ll want drawings before they’ll start the clock, do you have those already? Look up your LPA in the gov stats (or look at similar applications on the LPA’s portal) to get an idea of real timescales.

15 minutes ago, Alan Ambrose said:

I think they’ll want drawings before they’ll start the clock, do you have those already? Look up your LPA in the gov stats (or look at similar applications on the LPA’s portal) to get an idea of real timescales.

Yea I have the drawings, I've submitted them all with my planning application. The councils website states there is a 3 week delay with checking applications so I assume that's the delay before validating.

I've also emailed them explaining of my situation starting some works then realising I needed planning and having to halt everything. If that does me any good, but worth a shot.

5 minutes ago, vik2001 said:

The councils website states there is a 3 week delay with checking applications so I assume that's the delay before validating.

If the application was deemed valid upon submission, then the LPA would in theory lose 3 weeks their end. Should the LPA not be satisfied that the submission includes all the required information, the 8 weeks will start from when that has all been submitted.

Do you also think the LPA could reject my planning application because I started putting thr block and beam floor in? Even though I havnt built above ground level, and ask me to put retrospective planning instead..

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/03/2024 at 20:56, DevilDamo said:

Incorrect. An extension that is positioned to infill area bounded by a side wall and rear wall (attached or not) would need to meet the PD requirements for a side and rear extension. The OP fails to meet the PD criteria so whoever advised them that the works are not PD is correct.

In worst case scenario if planning is refused can I still build up to 8m under the larger extension scheme. Or regardless I need planning because of eaves height?

Permitted development is always based on the original house, but I'm not sure that the house would have originally be designed with an internal kitchen, so you have to be sure that the house hasn't already been extended