Vaulted roof for a bungalow.

We are looking to add a full width extension onto the back of our bungalow, after knocking down the flat roofed extension.  We are also extending 6 ft to the side of the kitchen, to join up to the porch (behind the red gate). this will hopefully give us a good sized kitchen/dining/living area.  

It would need to be quite wide.  The 'old' bungalow is about 6m (the two front bedrooms are 3.22 and 2.32m wide) with a 2.1m side extension for the new shower room.  We had permssion to square off the kitchen in line with the shower room but our new plan will widen the lounge too, right across the back.  It is a small bungalow so we hope to make the back into our main living space. The pitched roof would be over 8m wide.  Is that too wide to pitch into the current roof and how easy would it be to make it a vaulted ceiling?   I dont want to go to the architect with unrealstic plans.

Thoughts welcome.

IMG_20180612_144109.jpg

20240225_194654.jpg

20240225_194641.jpg

Bit confused. Are you planning to change your roof on the main house? Assume you are semi detached with the green fence and what looks to be a party wall on you sketches. How are you going to tie the two roof together? I wouldn't be happy to agree, if I was living next door to you.

No, the main roof is staying but we want to add a new extension, into the garden, across the majority of our side, with a pitch roof going into our half of the main roof.  Does that make sense?  I shall try to get a photo of something similar today as I am useless at doing drawings, via CAD or similar. 

It should not affect my neighbour apart from having an extension with a pitched roof, instad of a flat roof.  It is the angle that I am wondering about and if it is possible to give a vaulted roof in the new end, tying it into the current roof?

Edited by TheMitchells

We are looking for something similar to this.  Except ours could be wider, once we go to the side of the kitchen.  would the width be restricted by the permitted pitch of the new extension roof.  I believe they only allow a minimum of 15o.

pitched roof.jpg

Edited by TheMitchells

The problem with vaulted ceilings is their lack of lateral support ( spread of side wall due to no ceilings joists) but certainly doable with an SE,s input I guess. Yes your roof slope will be less but as long as it meets the minimum slope of the tiles used it should be fine.

7 hours ago, JohnMo said:

I wouldn't be happy to agree, if I was living next door to you.

I don’t see why? You will be retaining the wall next to the neighbour or replacing it and going no higher so no loss of light or more visual for next door 🤷‍♂️

Edited by joe90

Do you have ridge height restrictions?

What is your current ridge height?

Vaulted ceilings can be achieved many ways so I wouldn't worry about that. Raised tie trusses. Exposed tie trusses, scissors trusses ,A central ridge beam are all options. 

As to the roof you can now get tiles to go to 12.5⁰ pitch. 

https://www.marley.co.uk/roof-tiles/concrete-roof-tiles/mendip-double-pantile

However........for durability more is better than less, overhangs also help with a buildings durability.

Avoid complex shapes, valleys and  flats roofs if you can. They're expensive to build and maintain properly. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Surely this is PD and the ridge height restricted to existing ridge on the main house 🤷‍♂️

There are all sorts of extensions around here so I dont see there being any problem with the planning application.  But we are restricted to the current ridge height.  we can stand up in the attic so its not too low. 

Glad to hear there are lots of truss types.  I'll stop worrying and will post plans when we get them eventually.  Also hope to do a blog with details as renovation is popular and I'm happy to share my experience. 

Thanks all for comments. 

Edited by TheMitchells
spelling!

1 hour ago, TheMitchells said:

I dont see there being any problem with the planning application. 

I think you don’t need planning (but will need building regs) and build it under permitted development, anyone?

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

I think you don’t need planning (but will need building regs) and build it under permitted development, anyone?

I think they are proposing a wraparound type extension, which would not be PD.  I think you can do the back bit and the side bit but not the bit that joins them.

Not sure how to make the roof work nicely.

5 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

I think they are proposing a wraparound type extension, which would not be PD.  I think you can do the back bit and the side bit but not the bit that joins them.

Not sure how to make the roof work nicely.

me neither but I expect someone can.  Maybe I could get a load of sticks and make a model?  We are looking to use an architect soon to give advice on the whole renovation thing, so I can come up with a plan of action.  I shall quiz him on the roof and also, I have tickets to the renovation show at NEC  near end of March so may see if anyone there can give me some ideas. 

14 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

I think there are plans for changes to PD this year, which might include wraparound extensions. I expect a general election will affect that though.

https://www.planninggeek.co.uk/2024/changes-planned-for-permitted-development-rights-for-extensions-roofs-and-outbuildings/

• Like 2