Does brick plinth really add expense?

The granted PP on the plot we are purchasing has oak cladding with a lower brick section with no plinth. I personally, much prefer the plinth as shown in the image below, but conscious of a finite budget I have a feeling that this option adds a lot of expense?  The brick plinths seem quite expensive.

Border Oak - Weatherboarded barn style home under construction. | Oak ... 

Plinth bricks can be expensive.  From memory ours added >£4k plus labour, but it depends how many corners you have, and whether there are 1 course or two.  A cheaper alternative for us would have been to use some non-matching engineering plinth bricks,  but I didn't like the contrast.  It does give the house some additional character and a traditional look though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alan Ambrose said:

>>> lower brick section with no plinth

i’m not sure what you mean here - bricks are planned already up to ground level or 150mm above, and you want more courses?

image.png.290dccac8f12583748c13560e1a677ae.png

The granted PP does not have a plinth

1 hour ago, flanagaj said:

The granted PP does not have a plinth

It must have something from the ground up to the timber level. If not shown on the planning drawing then that is a technical oversight. The planners will accept a clarification. 

Bricks are relatively expensive but are replacing something else....blocks or concrete usually.

Thinking about it, it's not just the plinth bricks.  You'll also need wider foundations and the block work behind the facing bricks, as you're effectively building a double width wall up to plinth level.

• Like 1