New build renewables

Amateur bob

Good morning i am currently planning out a new build and have been advised to check out "home energy scotland" for grants and loans, has anyone else used them and if so what are the most feasable options? ill def be doing an ASHP but not sure what else to go for, are solar and battery systems worth it or will they bump up my build cost too much? im on a fairly tight budget

thanks

PV, battery and ASHP can be a good combination, if the heat pump does cooling, summer cooling is free. In winter depending on the angle of the PV you can offset some running cost of the ASHP in the late part of Jan, Feb, March, Oct and early Nov.

But paying someone to do it, even with grants, costs can stack up.

You may be better concentrating on insulation and airtightness to reduce size of heat pump. MVHR for ventilation to reduce your ventilation heat loss and recover the otherwise lost heat.

• Like 1

As above 

Unless you can buy PV cheap and self install You are talking many years for the PV to pay for itself 

HPs are a good deal We are paying 5k towards a 11KW Hp etc fully installed 

Theres plenty on here cable of self installing But without the grant it probably wouldn’t be worth it 

Not sure how they got £28,000 in grants. 

We got £9500 in grants which covered about 90% of the cost. 

The process is very convoluted incidentally. 

Edited by Kelvin

You get 0% loans and 75% cashback up to £7.5k for an ASHP, 25% for solar PV and different rates for other renewables. Cashback on a max of two technologies and a loan for anything else (but MCS requirements mean any additional technology will be dearer than you could get buying yourself and paying for installation). 

• Like 1

I qualified for the rural grant (I'm 20 mins from Glasgow) £9k grant for ASHP install, just been paid. Defo worth it. 

1250 for PV Solar, 1250 for battery both grants available through HES. get it done, it will never be cheaper than to do it right now.

9 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

I qualified for the rural grant (I'm 20 mins from Glasgow) £9k grant for ASHP install, just been paid. Defo worth it. 

1250 for PV Solar, 1250 for battery both grants available through HES. get it done, it will never be cheaper than to do it right now.

thats good going how much was the ASHP in total? ill def need to try for the ASHP and im installing one anyway, was it a slow/difficult process obtaining the grants? im not 100% sure when my build will start/finish it will depend how i get on with getting building warrant and securing the mortgage so should i wait until i am ready to build or apply in advance? i.e any time limits imposed?

thanks

20 hours ago, Kelvin said:

Not sure how they got £28,000 in grants. 

We got £9500 in grants which covered about 90% of the cost. 

The process is very convoluted incidentally. 

im not sure either ive asked the question, what was that towards ASHP?

• 1 month later...
On 11/02/2024 at 00:11, SuperJohnG said:

is there any kind of time limit between applying and having to install? id likr to apply for the ashp grant but need to confirm mortgage before ill know build start date

On 21/03/2024 at 13:23, MR10 said:

Extract from the Home Energy Scotland website (https://www.homeenergyscotland.org/funding/grants-loans/detail/)

• You cannot start work on any installations until you’ve received the funding offer in writing. If you receive a funding offer this financial year you have up to nine months to carry the work out and claim your funding.

thnks for the reply, ill need to secure a mortgage first and agree a timber frame then or it could go over the 9 months, does it take long after applying to get the green light to claim funding, i woldnt want something like that to hold up the build

24 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

does it take long after applying to get the green light to claim funding

For me it was roughly 3 weeks from application to receiving the grant approval and I made a claim once the ASHP etc. were installed which was 7 months after the grant approval. Funds paid out within a week of putting in the claim.

Timing is key as you don't want to apply too early and have the clock run out and then have to reapply.

• Like 1