No sill on front door?

CH_18

I think I know the answer to this.

Had our front door fitted this week and to my suprise was fitted without a sill? 

Door has been installed within the cavity to avoid thermal bridging but now without the sill exposes a possible water ingress issue. The cavity below the door is lined with DPM and concrete filled so is sitting on this. Before they fitted the door I had the DPM pulled up at the front and lapped backwards behind the door so the door could sit on this but they trimmed it off flush at the front??

I queried the fitting at the time of install and they assured me it was correct, it was for thermal bridging and a sill couldn't be fitted for the level access for regs? 

The rainwater running down the door can now flow behind the visible DPC and soak the cavity filled concrete? 

1. Is this wrong and 2. How do I fix it?

PXL_20230215_091029858.jpg

PXL_20230215_091015304.jpg

Edited by CH_18

When we built the regs required a level entry to meet part M of the building regs. Basicaloy followed this example from the web.

figure1large.thumb.jpg.7a38560674e3a50a306bf4e1a64d62dd.jpg

Edited by Temp

Yes it is wrong.

If this is supply and fit, get them back to sort it.  It needs a cill set to overhang the brickwork.  They may need to scrap this one and start again.  Water will be pissing into the cavity.

That is crap and I can’t understand a company doing that when obviously wrong?, surely they should have either fitted a cill or told you one should be fitted before their door was fitted. I would get a manager out to explain themselves and to either remove it and provide one with a cill or pay for what @dpmiller says above. I hope you have not paid yet?

I don't think I can chop out a row of bricks and set a sill in because the cavity is concrete filled, so even if I do take a row out I can't set a sill back far enough under the door 😔

Annoying 

• 2 weeks later...

Presumably you have some step detail outside? Bit of a bodge, but can you get some ~1mm stainless sheet under the frame. If so, a custom cut and bent cill sealed with and embedded with the right mastic? Even better if you can get dpc and 1mm SS under.

On 09/02/2024 at 22:07, CH_18 said:

Door has been installed within the cavity to avoid thermal bridging

On 09/02/2024 at 22:07, CH_18 said:

The cavity below the door is lined with DPM and concrete filled so is sitting on this

These statements seem contradictory. 

If the door is sitting on concrete and the cavity is full of concrete you have a very large thermal bridge. 

Any chance of a sketch of a cross section please?