Filling Electric Socket

richo106

Hi all

I know this is a very random question but for one reason or another (mainly the mrs changing her mind so need a double back box now) 

But there is some gaps around the sockets now but no where to fill against if you know what I mean as there is nothing behind it. Is there something I can put in/foam in that I push back leaving 2/3mm so I can easi fill

Many Thanks 

IMG_3964.jpeg

If that is a plasterboard wall, the back box will be mounted on a noggin.  I would remove the back box, screw an appropriate thickness packer onto the noggin such that when you then screw a plasterboard patch into the hole it is about flush.  Much easier to then fill the gaps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richo106 said:

for one reason or another (mainly the mrs changing her mind so need a double back box now) 

I am confused as he said this 🤷‍♂️

He wants something for the filler to be able to be packed in against, so @Onoff's suggestion is kosher. Just foam it, leave to cure, scape back the foam to leave the depth of the plasterboard as the void, and then fill. Best to primer the cut edges of the plasterboard with 50/50 pva/water first so the filler has something to key to.

Sorry for the confusing message, I’ve had to move over single back boxes to make room for the new double back boxes.

I am going to dab in some patches of plasterboard in the bigger holes I’ve got it’s just the slithers I was concerned about.  

I’ve got some air tight foam knocking about and ordered some sikaflex SBT (thanks @Onoff)

Will the easifill stick to the sikaflex EBT ok?

44 minutes ago, richo106 said:

Sorry for the confusing message, I’ve had to move over single back boxes to make room for the new double back boxes.

I am going to dab in some patches of plasterboard in the bigger holes I’ve got it’s just the slithers I was concerned about.  

I’ve got some air tight foam knocking about and ordered some sikaflex SBT (thanks @Onoff)

Will the easifill stick to the sikaflex EBT ok?

Should do. Maybe use flexible plaster filler that comes in a tube instead of Easifill.