Wet window sills/cills/reveals

Jimbo37

Oh dear, Im worried - please put my mind at ease :)

I have a 'regular' block and s&c render house, with a flat roof in the final stages of build. I finally had the windows sealed (rubber between frame and glass and the mastic between the s&c and frame) a few days ago. Todays rain has shown a problem on 14 of the 18 door/window openings - a wet patch at the bottom of the inner reveal (always on one side, just) - see pic. (There is S&C behind the cladding).

I have noticed this previously, but the builder felt it was because the rubber on the windows was missing - obvs, Ill speak with him in the morning. What is most likely to be going on?

image.thumb.png.92176eec0f4553ceef12e442291f032d.png

image.thumb.png.7a1271e650f3b3124fccbd5732fb2c35.png

Edited by Jimbo37

• Jimbo37 changed the title to Wet window sills/cills/reveals

With that amount of hard landscaping around the building the rain must be bouncing off it and and going above any dpc level you have.

In your photo it shows a damp patch at ground level on the righthand side of the building.

I'm concerned there is no gap around the building to act as a soakaway for any rain water. It's not normal to pave upto a building. A 200mm minimum gap is normally let and this is filled with pea shingle to aid water runoff.

Is there a renderstop on the bottom edge of the render.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As has been said, use this storm to inspect how damp the walls get. Generally you get it rendered down to 2 engineered blocks, which is where DPC is.

I'd be tempted to use this storm and the damp near ground level to get the render trimmed back up.

Not a great pic, but you can see where my dpc as the render stops, I have raised beds/driveway etc to go in yet!

20240121_091720.jpg

Edited by Andehh
  • Like 1

Just read the title - didn’t see the sills, cills and reveals bit… *read the question before answering* and stop just looking at the pictures 🙈

Edited by markc
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, twice round the block said:

With that amount of hard landscaping around the building the rain must be bouncing off it and and going above any dpc level you have.

In your photo it shows a damp patch at ground level on the righthand side of the building.

I'm concerned there is no gap around the building to act as a soakaway for any rain water. It's not normal to pave upto a building. A 200mm minimum gap is normally let and this is filled with pea shingle to aid water runoff.

Is there a renderstop on the bottom edge of the render.?

There is a 50mm runoff on patio, does that deal with issue soakaway would deal with?

No render stop.

The patch you see is a problem with paint, as it rained before it dried

1 hour ago, Andehh said:

Have you got any pics of before installation? Or during construction?

Not great pic, but shows some detail. I'll look for more

IMG-20230727-WA0005.jpeg

Screenshot_20240121_195903_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Jimbo37

1 hour ago, ETC said:

DPCs not placed correctly at the jambs. Open up a jamb and see how the DPCs have been placed.

I'll look for pics, but it looked right. Step dpc in head, and strip of dpc from inner leaf down outer leg of frames

Edit: see 1 pic up. Unfortunately I don't have much better pic

Edited by Jimbo37

Ive spent a bit of time studying these today

1 - I noticed that there are weep hole covers missing, could that be the source?

2 - I see cills run under frame from outside to inside, could water be getting blown back through?

3 - Mastic is good, but not perfect everywhere (could this be the cause, or is this really essential to weather proofing)