Building a small cabin on a highland croft

I am currently living and working in Inverness and in the process of saving up to buy a croft where i will start a regenarative farm. My plan is to buy somewhere with planning in principle and build a modest cabin, aiming to do as much of the work by myself to keep costs down. How likely would it be to get planning permission for a smallish cabin (im thinking of something about 16ft x 24ft)? It seems like pretty much all outline planning in the Highlands want a house to be rendered in a white finish etc etc. How likely would it be to get approval for a smaller cabin? My ideal is to build a timber frame (using mortise and tenon joinery) and insulated with SIP's. Attatched a video of the type of cabin I would like to build. Have also thought about building a tiny home on a trailer, but i guess that would still need planning permission and i wouldnt really need it mobile anyway.

Welcome

Some Scotch people will be along and start telling you all about the different rules about building they have devolved.

One of our members was building up in Inverneshire, and recently abandoned his project.

If you buy a bare croft, I think it is pretty much a given that you will be allowed to build a house, and usually a portion of the land is decrofted for that.  There are usually several for sale.  

Thanks for the replies. Having done a bit more research today, im now thinking that maybe it would be best to try and design a building in line with the caravans act to avoid any complications with building control and just generally make things a bit easier. 

1 hour ago, Finlay1992 said:

Thanks for the replies. Having done a bit more research today, im now thinking that maybe it would be best to try and design a building in line with the caravans act to avoid any complications with building control and just generally make things a bit easier. 

@Finlay1992, we bought a croft up North and didn't have problems with planning. We agreed a price and applied before we completed. It took a while because the COVID excuse and working from home was in full swing. We got permission for 2 rental cabins in timber with cladding etc. and a house. Have a look at my blogs #the windy roost

We went with building regulations and insulated / airtightness to good standards. It's windy and cold.

Don't skimp on the spec, building control have been great.

You only need to de-croft if you want to finance the build.

Just a point, crofts are classed as business so you will pay more on fees to purchase in the region of 3k but you need to make sure they know the ins and outs of croft land.

Edited by Jenki
Typo

25 minutes ago, Jenki said:

Don't skimp on the spec, building control have been great.

Agreed. You've  got one chance to build to a high spec, and on a small building the cost difference will soon  get repaid in heating bills.

The Scottish rules require the design to be by an approved designer. Annoyingly as I'm not on thd register.

Once you've got a project, ask around for one who is both reasonably priced and designs economically.

I've just seen a video of the weather in Thurso a few days ago. It would blow a caravan over.

But you may choose a sheltered Glen.

Re caravan v proper house costs.  I worked with a guy who built a cabin for his development site. He made it look like a hired cabin so that it didn't trouble the planners, and he said it cost half of a commercial cabin, but was properly insulated and sturdier. Then he forgot to remove it for a few years.

Timber building is standard in the Highlands and 'stick build' is usually much cheaper than a kit.

If you desperately want to design it yourself without being troubled by buildling regs, it is possible to build a building that falls within the legal definition of a caravan while being very well insulated and very well built.  The downside of doing that is you won't be able to reclaim the VAT and resale value / mortgagability might be a lot worse.

4 hours ago, ProDave said:

If you desperately want to design it yourself without being troubled by buildling regs, it is possible to build a building that falls within the legal definition of a caravan while being very well insulated and very well built.  The downside of doing that is you won't be able to reclaim the VAT and resale value / mortgagability might be a lot worse.

The main reason I am now thinking of going down the "caravan" route is becuase I plan to do most of the work myself so without the need for building regulations I could crack on with it without having inspectors etc. I would obviously build it to a nice spec but it would be nice not to have to deal with alot of the bureaucratic stuff. I have seen another member "crofter" has built something very similar to what I would like. I am not planning on getting a mortgage out with it, I currently stay full time in a campervan so have very few bills and would probably continue to work on and off while setting up the croft/ building the house. Could perhaps make use of the croft house grant too. 

1 hour ago, Finlay1992 said:

The main reason I am now thinking of going down the "caravan" route is becuase I plan to do most of the work myself so without the need for building regulations I could crack on with it without having inspectors etc. I would obviously build it to a nice spec but it would be nice not to have to deal with alot of the bureaucratic stuff. I have seen another member "crofter" has built something very similar to what I would like. I am not planning on getting a mortgage out with it, I currently stay full time in a campervan so have very few bills and would probably continue to work on and off while setting up the croft/ building the house. Could perhaps make use of the croft house grant too. 

Have a look at this blog, he build a small house as a holiday let to comply with the "caravan" definition.

If you have not already seen it, this is how the Highland Council interpret the definition of a "caravan"  build it within that definition and it won't need building regs  https://www.highland.gov.uk/downloads/file/1346/bst_018_caravans_and_mobile_homes

You will need building regs for the installation of a treatment plant, unless you do something like a composting toilet.