Survey inputs to the planning process

We were required to get a number of surveys prior to us getting planning permission.  These were all duly submitted along with the application itself and, happily, we got permission 10 weeks later in early 2022.

It is my understanding that the surveys formed part of the planning process and would therefore inform the conditions placed upon the subsequent permission. We have 16 in total.

Nothing unusual in this of course.

The reason for my question here is because i was re reading the Tree survey reports yesterday and noticed a number of things that the arboriculturist expect to happen. Pruning, Root ball observance etc. It is quite prescriptive actually.

But, there are no specific conditions within the 16 that form the full planning permission that mention any such thing about the trees.

So, if the planning authority have seen the reports and decided not to impose conditions on us then i believe there is 'nothing to see here'  and i can safely ignore what the tree survey itself said.

Am i at all correct ?

I don't know, but if your username is indicative of your build-style maybe you have individual founds for each post (a la Segal Method) and therefore minimal threat to trees and roots and the LA recognised this. Or maybe not!

Was the arbori etc giving recommendations rather than requesting conditions be applied?

The planner wouldn't have imposed vonditions unless some were clearly recommended.

I'd check any drawings for any noyes too.

Pruning seems a strange recommendation. 

Ditto, presumably the planners used the tree survey to inform themselves on the impact (if any) on the trees caused by your development. Since they did not feel it was necessary to impose any specific condition about the trees then it seems they were satisfied. Again as above, check any particular reference to trees on your approved drawings, in particular any landscaping scheme.

However, no doubt as a kind, caring, nature aware type I'm sure you'll take note of the professional advice, but as far as statutory control goes, it's advice. 

1 hour ago, kandgmitchell said:

However, no doubt as a kind, caring, nature aware type I'm sure you'll take note of the professional advice, but as far as statutory control goes, it's advice. 

This would be my take on it. 

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

Pruning seems a strange recommendation. 

My thought exactly. The pruning relates to a Walnut tree close to the proposed house. They specified pruning it a little to allow the house to be built. My intention would be to try to leave the tree alone until and unless we needed to prune it.

They also mentioned cutting back some leylandii to the neighbours fence line.  This is in fact a good idea but i regard it as my call whether or not i do it. I dont understand how or why they would make a statement as though it were a requirement.

• Like 1

Arb surveyors like to put something down, more for ar#e covering. Dead wooding and crown reduction are the usuals ones in case anything falls off and hits someone, pruning is less often used but could be to improve access or sight lines etc.

5 hours ago, Post and beam said:

We were required to get a number of surveys prior to us getting planning permission.  These were all duly submitted along with the application itself and, happily, we got permission 10 weeks later in early 2022.

It is my understanding that the surveys formed part of the planning process and would therefore inform the conditions plac

So, if the planning authority have seen the reports and decided not to impose conditions on us then i believe there is 'nothing to see here'  and i can safely ignore what the tree survey itself said.

Am i at all correct ?

You are not obliged to do anything not mentioned in the planning conditions. 

Beware the condition that says it must be built as per the approved plans if they show anything about trees.

You might need/want to do more than stated in planning conditions if the tree report contains anything relevant to your foundation design. Eg trees close by on clay soil = deeper foundations or even piles are needed.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar condition on a recent planning. The tree survey came back with "during the build (of my garden room) building materials must not be stored in the root area of the tree (which otherwise they agreed was outside the development). The irony was that's where my stack of "may come in handy" building materials, rockery stone etc has been stacked for years.....