Air Test Recommendations

Hi 

We need to do an air test to get the house signed off, any recommendations who to use we are based in Wigan , any idea of cost and if it fails whats the situation ?   Thanks in advance 

We've used EasyEPC for our interim Air Test, they effectively broker appointments across different testers in England; cost was approx £380 plus vat.  If it fails, you have to fix the problems and re-test.  Given the regs your house has to be pretty leaky to fail.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PNAmble said:

Given the regs your house has to be pretty leaky to fail.

The house will need to achieve or the airtightness that was used in the as designed SAP, which must be less than 8.0m³/(h·m²) @ 50Pa.

With leakage rates this high you would need to add huge amounts of insulation, PV, etc. to compensate.

Typically the design will based on the notional dwelling and will be less than 5.0m³/(h·m²) @ 50 Pa.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Willow said:

Hi 

We need to do an air test to get the house signed off, any recommendations who to use we are based in Wigan , any idea of cost and if it fails whats the situation ?   Thanks in advance 

Most are franchised out I’m only about 20 minutes from you and we used a company from Wales 

The hardly ever fail a residential property I’m not even sure why it’s compulsory 

• Like 1

We used Air-testing Staffordshire

New Build Airtight Testing And More | Airtight Testing Staffordshire Airtight Testing Staffordshire | Newbuild Airtight Testing and More | Airtight Testing Staffordshire

From Stoke so not to far from Wigan [about the same distance the other way from us.

£200 [Nov 2021] so will be more than that now. [no VAT then as they had just started out on their own] 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, nod said:

hardly ever fail a residential property I’m not even sure why it’s compulsory

If it was not compulsory very few developers and builders would bother at all with airtightness.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

If it was not compulsory very few developers and builders would bother at all with airtightness.

Do you really think the builders carry out Airtightness test To the one in seven 

I’ve been on a site of 300 homes daily for the past two years and I haven’t seen an air test being carried out 

Im also on four other housing sites at least once a week and haven’t seen one being carried 

The majority do the test as a desktop 

Commercial jobs are always done 

But totally corrupt 

21 minutes ago, nod said:

Do you really think the builders carry out Airtightness test To the one in seven 

No, the housebashers often have "Type Approval" style certification.

Mostly the only things that get looked at are the paperwork.

Site agents are more interested in RAMS from their subbies than build quality.

33 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

No, the housebashers often have "Type Approval" style certification.

Mostly the only things that get looked at are the paperwork.

Site agents are more interested in RAMS from their subbies than build quality.

Definitely 

This company are larger than Persimmons and red row put together 

They turn out an exceptional product 

Its a farce 

Air-tests have no influence on the quality of new builds We All have a vested interest in making sure our homes exceed the P##s poor minimum standard 

If major house builders where forced to physically test each home It would still make no difference Because  like private building control there’s lots of competition and rocking the boat isn’t an option 

Yes I’m totally against compulsory air testing Let’s face it None of our builds will fail an Air test So why should we shell out ££££ To find out what we already know 

On 17/01/2024 at 14:00, Blooda said:

We used Air-testing Staffordshire

New Build Airtight Testing And More | Airtight Testing Staffordshire Airtight Testing Staffordshire | Newbuild Airtight Testing and More | Airtight Testing Staffordshire

From Stoke so not to far from Wigan [about the same distance the other way from us.

£200 [Nov 2021] so will be more than that now. [no VAT then as they had just started out on their own] 

Thanks I will contact them for a quote 

On 17/01/2024 at 14:00, Blooda said:

On 17/01/2024 at 17:53, nod said:

Definitely 

This company are larger than Persimmons and red row put together 

They turn out an exceptional product 

Its a farce 

Air-tests have no influence on the quality of new builds We All have a vested interest in making sure our homes exceed the P##s poor minimum standard 

If major house builders where forced to physically test each home It would still make no difference Because  like private building control there’s lots of competition and rocking the boat isn’t an option 

Yes I’m totally against compulsory air testing Let’s face it None of our builds will fail an Air test So why should we shell out ££££ To find out what we already know 

On 17/01/2024 at 13:21, nod said:

Most are franchised out I’m only about 20 minutes from you and we used a company from Wales 

The hardly ever fail a residential property I’m not even sure why it’s compulsory 

have you got their details please ? Thanks