Recessed TV

Good Morning All

The mrs has now decided she wants the TV recessed into the wall (despite it all be plastered already) so I am going to stud it out to house the TV

The mrs wants the TV as tight as you can get it with around 2/3mm space around the TV

My concern would be sound, would this greatly affect the sound quality and would we need a soundbar?

Have people on the forum done this? What gap around the edge did you leave?

I have the TV and a suitable TV bracket that can pull straight ( bracket is heavier than the TV!) - Samsung QE65QN95CA

Any advice or information on this would be greatly appreciated

8 minutes ago, richo106 said:

The mrs wants the TV as tight as you can get it with around 2/3mm space around the TV

Can I suggest that you get a more detailed brief than she has given you because;

• How can you know when the TV will finally give up the ghost ? - 2 to 3mm could then be a problem for the replacement TV
  • How do you cope with 'dongles' that might protrude a bit past the edge of the TV?
  • Yes, the sound will be affected. How much is another question . If needed , where would a soundbar go?

It's either hard to get family to engage with design issues - or very easy: you'll be given a precise spec.

But in this case I suspect (as in mine) a ThatsYourJobMate approach. Until it isn't. And thats infuriating. Because I've needed to undo / redo all sorts of stuff.  I mean six - yes six (6)  - bloody extensions in use around the house FFS.

"Where would you like the sockets dear?"  

"Thats your job innit"

The only way round it I've found is to say - yes, I'll design it for you if you give me a set of images of installations that you see and like. I've come to hate some of the proprietory image search apps that she favours. 

If yours is anything like mine - you'll give her the 3mm gap (with a flourish and smile) and then you'll get

"But what about [...] . I would have thought that was obvious. "

Not showing a reaction to that technique is an acquired art. 

I made a small recess, to house the power sockets and give space for cables etc.  That allows you to mount the tv closer to the wall than if you just had surface sockets etc, but the tv is still in front of the wall and covers the recess.

This was discussed before and the external dimensions of tv's are not standard so in x years when this one dies or you just want to change it, the next one won't fit the mm perfect recess. 

"But what about [...] . I would have thought that was obvious. "

Not showing a reaction to that technique is an acquired art. 

This made me laugh out loud - this is most accurate thing I have read in a long time

Yes I have been asking for a 'design' for weeks but its now holding us up as it needs to be done so skirting and coving can be finished etc...

The soundbar would be recessed below the tv

The mrs doesn't seem bothered and her current view of when the TV breaks is we will cross that bridge when it comes to it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I made a small recess, to house the power sockets and give space for cables etc.  That allows you to mount the tv closer to the wall than if you just had surface sockets etc, but the tv is still in front of the wall and covers the recess.

This was discussed before and the external dimensions of tv's are not standard so in x years when this one dies or you just want to change it, the next one won't fit the mm perfect recess. 

I suggested this....didn't go down as well as I hoped haha

We (well I say we, I mean she) decided that a Samsung Frame TV flush mounted on the wall is a better look than a "recessed" TV with a gap all around.

Might be one to check with the boss before building walls?

43 minutes ago, richo106 said:

The mrs doesn't seem bothered and her current view of when the TV breaks is we will cross that bridge when it comes to it

Yes, but you (we Build Hubbers) ) have to cope with the consequences.  (Well, you fitted the last one - whassa difficulty this time ?)

On the one hand we have to get the damn job finished (for me 8 years and a few to go) and on the other it's often the fine detail that makes the difference between an expletive-ridden job, and disconnect - replace - reconnect, done. 

Hence:

Knowing why you have NOT done the job as you might have been expected to do it , is more valuable than doing it the first way that comes to mind.  Because sure as Hell, some fatherless putrescent gadfly will sting you with;

"Well, ya should've dunnit this way [...] "

Thats been said to me so often that I now have a reply ready : "Well, I'm not you am I - here's the tools - GetOnWithIt " 

and make a cup of tea to 'Calm Down Dear' 

F%ck'em. 

Edited by ToughButterCup

Ours has a 100mm gap top & bottom and 70mm gap either side.

I think the idea to have a 2-3mm gap would be impracticable.  For starters, your fingers would need to be 2-3mm deep to lift the thing onto the bracket unless you devised some sort of tool or clamp.  Or put in a scissor type mount but trying to get that installed with such accuracy would be very difficult to maintain a precise equal 2-3mm gap all around.  It would have to be a mount with precise x-y adjustment.  Or some sort of suction cup for the screen.  Bad idea that lifting a telly by the screen.  We’ve had to access the back of our telly a few times since we installed it.

secondly you’d have to replace the existing telly with something identical size if it breaks down.  Thirdly any heat generated by the back of the telly.  All that before the speakers issues.

Though you don’t need gaps as big as ours, I think you’d regret not having a decent gap around the telly.

another option may be if you like that vertical wood slat aesthetic would be to to construct a decorative screen with a precise cut out, that could hinge out like a door or a panel section that could pop off.

IMG_1598.jpeg

IMG_1599.jpeg

Edited by Bozza