Hidden fire place lighting around log burner - whats ok?

readiescards

We have a fire place with (when its fitted) a 5kW room sealed log burner sat inside the chimeny breast.  As per our previous house we wish to have some hidden lighting up in the chimney breast that illuminates the fire place and log burner (probably 2-3W LED).

The electrican has installed the wiring and switches etc but wants the log burner installed (Hetas registered) to state what lights are acceptable.  The Hetas guy has had many weeks to come back to me on this but seems to be struggling to get a definite list of suitable items.

What is allowed/not allowed in such a situation.  Would a simple cermanic baynet holder and a cooker rated LED bulb be ok? 

Interesting one. I don't have any specific knowledge on this but surely the critical thing is the distances involved- your stove should specify a minimum distance to combustibles.

You could also shield the cables e.g. in metal conduit.

• Like 1

I doubt the stove maker will be able to help.

I think your best bet is to get the stove installed, fire it up and measure the air and surface temperatures where the lights will be installed. Then find lights that are rated for that environment.

I doubt you will find lights that are specifically rated for use close to a wood burner, not because it's difficult to make lights to go there but because they don't test lights for suitability in in every imaginable location. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, readiescards said:

What is allowed/not allowed in such a situation.  Would a simple cermanic baynet holder and a cooker rated LED bulb be ok?

I found a ceramic holder that claims they are suitable for upto 210C. But it's not quite the right type...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CERAMIC-BAYONET-BC-CAP-BC-22-High-Temperature-Lamp-Bulb-Holder-/262946776986

• Like 1

On 21/09/2017 at 01:49, Temp said:

I think your best bet is to get the stove installed, fire it up and measure the air and surface temperatures where the lights will be installed. Then find lights that are rated for that environment.

Seems the best plan, especially as it might be the 'fire it up, fook its hot, never use it again' scenario

• 5 months later...

Seeing temperatures of sub 50 degrees within the recess so no where near as high as I thought.

Plan to install some simple ceramic bulb holders:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Screw-Glazed-Ceramic-Bulb-Holder-ES-E27-Angled-Heat-Lamp-Socket-Wall-Mounting/361538602712?epid=1089131831&hash=item542d6146d8:g:O6YAAOSweW5VOTQO

Connected using immersion cabling which I believe is rated for 85 degrees