Plasterboard damp/mould - help!

Hey all, 

So one of my worst fears have come true. I was assured having the boiler expelling it's steam (for over a month, because the plumber was not avail) into our extension would not damage or cause mould in there. I guess it is to be expected, it's like steaming my lounge and not expecting there to be ramifications. 

It has, is the best course of action to remove it entirely and board again? I'm guessing wiping it off and skimming it and painting it is, is just like putting a plaster on a wound. it will grow through and probably with a vengeance? 

Any advice appreciated. 

You should be more concerned about your health - the outflow from the flue contains Carbon Monoxide - it can kill and has. You don't smell it, who ever said its fine, shouldn't be allowed near a gas appliance - find a new plumber.

Also if its expelling steam you are not condensing so the boiler is not running efficient.  Flow temps are set too high.  Your return temp needs to be below 53 degs. to ensure condensing.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TryC said:

Any advice appreciated. 

Turn the boiler off NOW, yes RIGHT NOW and don't turn it on again until a proper competent gas safe engineer has corrected the issue.

Assuming of course you do mean the flue is discharging inside the extension.  If you don't mean the flue, explain what you do mean that is expelling "steam" with a picture please.

Picture please! Like @ProDave says, if it's the flue is expelling fumes into an extension it is IMMEDIATELY DANGEROUS to life - this is was is called a RIDDOR situation and if your builder has left it like this the builder risks getting locked up by the HSE.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone! Maybe I was using the wrong terminology.

But the question about mould, does anyone know if this is 'normal', when the builder insists it is there on the plasterboard because there is moisture but once dried out, the mould and damp issue will be gone. This is on a newly built extension.

I really do suggest you follow the advice so far and post some pictures of what is being expelled and from where. No part of the combustion process should be expelling into the room. Therefore it’s very unclear to all of us what your probably actually is and what’s causing it. 

The short answer is no it’s not normal.