Number of Trap Doors

Going through tenders received from builders at the moment.

One has listed trap doors and has listed 70 trap doors under the "Roofing" section of the tender. It's definitely listed as a number and not an area/m2. They are priced per trap door and the total is €8k.

House is two story and is 218m2 in total. There is only one attic access door included on the supplied construction drawings.

Are these typical? Are they likely access trap doors to help with plumbing, electrician etc. during the build and then get sealed?

Edited by Gaf

5 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

Wtf is a trap door? And why would you need 70 of them? Sounds dodgy to me. Might be worth questioning it with the builder to see what they say they’re for. 

Yeah it seemed odd when I came across it in the breakdown, particularly when I saw the total cost.

Wanted to be a bit informed before querying it.

12 hours ago, Gaf said:

Yeah it seemed odd when I came across it in the breakdown, particularly when I saw the total cost.

Wanted to be a bit informed before querying it.

hopefully someone who actually knows what they're talking about will be along soon to assist.

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

someone who actually knows what they're talking about will be along soon to assist.

Not me.

But I'm guessing the builder ( or a consultant estimator) has copied an old estimate spreadsheet and repopulated it.

Or it could be a spellchecker howler.

You'll get his attention by saying you'll just have one trapdoor please for £115 and please deduct the rest and confirm.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Not me.

But I'm guessing the builder ( or a consultant estimator) has copied an old estimate spreadsheet and repopulated it.

Or it could be a spellchecker howler.

You'll get his attention by saying you'll just have one trapdoor please for £115 and please deduct the rest and confirm.

does make you question the builder's attention to detail though and what they'll be like if they get the job if they don't double check the quote!

50 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

don't double check the quote!

1. Not builder's comfort zone looking at spreadsheets. 

2. You can get a bit word and number blind after a few iterations.

It's scary as well as time consuming presenting quotes, especially binding ones. Estimates not so much, and maybe run off without too much thought.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, saveasteading said:

1. Not builder's comfort zone looking at spreadsheets. 

2. You can get a bit word and number blind after a few iterations.

It's scary as well as time consuming presenting quotes, especially binding ones. Estimates not so much, and maybe run off without too much thought.

I'm more thinking along these lines. I met the builder in person and he seemed very genuine, no BS, and when trying to calculate something else with Excel mentioned being useless at using the programme.

He also received the Excel from his QS, so he didn't draw it up originally.

By the posts so far, it doesn't look like it's anything standard to see that many trap doors listed, so will link with him and check what it is.