Patio / aco drain / air brick locations for

Hi 

I’m just in process of digging up for a new patio. Ive started levelling out to 2 bricks under the dpc but trying to work out what best to do with these air bricks at the back. 

if I fit my aco drain it will come roughly half way up the air brick. Will this cause any issues in air circulation or given the fact there is some air flowing through it should be ok? 

Pic attached 

IMG_2562.jpeg

I would never cover an air brick.

Apart from reducing air flow you are encouraging, indeed perhaps causing, water ingress to the void.

Form a boxout using bricks or your blocks to above paving level (a tiny kerb) so that water stays out and the air brick is exposed.

That's all assuming you have a raised floor and it hasn't  previously been rebuilt.

Surfacing up go this level is a concern in itself. Where is the dpc?

4 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

I would never cover an air brick.

Apart from reducing air flow you are encouraging, indeed perhaps causing, water ingress to the void.

Form a boxout using bricks or your blocks to above paving level (a tiny kerb) so that water stays out and the air brick is exposed.

That's all assuming you have a raised floor and it hasn't  previously been rebuilt.

Surfacing up go this level is a concern in itself. Where is the dpc?

Got any pics of this idea? 

Sorry no. But its not an idea, it's good practice.

Dig hole around air brick and 100 below it.  Build 300 x 200 ish brick u shape, to level at least 20mm above proposed paving level. Gravel up to bottom of air brick. Pave up to brick.

The dpc level should be a concern.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Sorry no. But its not an idea, it's good practice.

Dig hole around air brick and 100 below it.  Build 300 x 200 ish brick u shape, to level at least 20mm above proposed paving level. Gravel up to bottom of air brick. Pave up to brick.

The dpc level should be a concern.

And not put an aco in ? 

the dpc is fine - 150mm above the patio floor 

Edited by richie9648
None

20 minutes ago, richie9648 said:

Yes the paving will be at a slight gradient away from building 

In that case, why the Aco? Is it to reduce splash?

55 minutes ago, richie9648 said:

to reduce splash?

Take that edging all the way, with gravel behind, and it will completely remove splash whereas Aco will still splash where water hits the metal bits..

Sorry Aco, you've lost a sale.

You need to weed  it occasionally, and clean the gravel every few years.

Those air bricks are twice the size of mine, covering half with a aco isn't ideal, but doesn't feel end of the world IMO, providing you have a few more within the vicinity venting the (assumed) sub floor and DPC protected cavities.

If the sub floor is fully dpc'd, and any house built within recent times should be, the risks are negligible.

Edited by Andehh

@richie9648 have you considered pedestals for your patio?

The air bricks would remain unobstructed, and your patio could be pretty much level with the patio doors. We did that with the Aco below the patio tiles and out of sight. 

3 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Avoidable risks should be avoided.

Not that we know how the house is built. Air bricks are to ventilate a suspended floor, but perhaps the floor is now ground-bearing.

@richie9648 perhaps you can tell us.

the building you see in the pic is an extension. Built before we moved in. It has a concrete floor which I am sure of

the older part of the building is suspended timber flooring so I assume there is some ducting from the air bricks into the older part of the house 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, richie9648 said:

so I assume there is some ducting from the air bricks into the older part of the house

And probably needs protecting. 

If you’re not familiar with pedestals for a patio here’s a picture of ours, different build to yours but I’m pretty sure it would work and the pedestals would keep the air bricks free to do their job. 

IMG_9388.thumb.jpeg.2a3c434de91598d8d3f160824e8a49f7.jpeg

17 hours ago, richie9648 said:

ducting from the air bricks into the older part of the house 

You could test this by pushing an electricians' cable rod along it.

Ok , assuming it is open, so rainwater could potentially run through this and under the main floor, making it very damp and  a mould and rot haven. So i still say keep it open and above ground.

I see you have the drainage units already.

1. maybe you don't need them now.

2. can they run to exit in both directions?

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

You could test this by pushing an electricians' cable rod along it.

Ok , assuming it is open, so rainwater could potentially run through this and under the main floor, making it very damp and  a mould and rot haven. So i still say keep it open and above ground.

I see you have the drainage units already.

1. maybe you don't need them now.

2. can they run to exit in both directions?

Thanks.  I am pretty sure its ducted but will give the rod a go.  We had wasps in that airbrick last summer.

What if i did something like the this pic with an Aco corner unit (or similar) running round the airbrick - would this be an option ?

Thanks

aco pic.png

Edited by richie9648
edit