Fake tile cladding

Hi all , I hope someone can help me, I'm about to do a loft conversion in my house, back of roof to be a full width dormer and front remains sloping. In between the rafters on the sloping side I'd like to have the appearance of the tiles and batten, as if you're looking up in your loft and there's no felt. I've looked everywhere online and camt find anything that could replicate this.

Now I know for a fact that there is a cladding of some sort that looks like this because I saw it today in a building, it even had the odd fake nail poking through which was plastic, hut they were panels that were cut in between the rafters and really looked like a real tiled roof at a glance. The restaurant owner didn't know so no good asking them. Any ideas? Anyone seen  anything like this before.

BTW I am a carpenter/General builder so by no means am I mistaken, don't mean to sound big headed but I've been around and never come across it before.

TIA

Adam

It's easy to get steel cladding pressed in tile shapes. Just google tile effect cladding. For what you seem to want you would need a layer of it, then a spacer system with insulation, then an outer sheet.

The back is usually off white or grey, so might still not be what you want.

OK that's what I imagined. My response stands including that the colour will be inappropriate.

Don't ask me for more suggestions though, as I don't like or favour pastiche in construction.

Yes pastiche, fake stuff can look ok in photos on Instagram etc but in real life you have to be careful. Sometimes print blocks of eg planks and bricks can trick the eye if you aren’t too close and a lot of flooring is made of prints of the wood or stone. You could find a printer or signage firm to print photos onto some kind of non flammable board for you, but I would test a sheet thoroughly to make sure it really works before spending too much. For me the exterior of a building and the interior have to have congruence and if there is too much dissonance it doesn’t look/feel right (and might put future buyers off, if that’s a consideration). 

I can’t see how you can achieve this and comply with building regs. 

You will need 100mm insulation between the rafters and 25-50mm over the face, or a different makeup, but would need to achieve a similar insulation value. 

This would completely hide the original rafters, so you would need to put in dummy rafter and then fit the dummy batten and tile effect. 

Will it be worth it ?.

• Like 1