A2A 6 months in

Gill

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

And in the summer when there is no heating?  I bet you are worse off on E7?

6 for water on cheap rate. Max 3 if we're doing a big cooking session. Summer the eco7 is always better value. Surprised it's still working out cheaper now but we've not had a long very cold spell. 

1 hour ago, TonyT said:

Surely that depends on the day/night tariff and the Cop

Yes it does. But in general your COP will be above 2 and the night rate will be half the cost of the day rate. In practice the COP will be significantly higher unless there's something seriously wrong.

27 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Octopus intelligent Go

Interestingly, when I get a quote from Octopus straight from their website, I get offered a normal E7 tariff. But searching specifically for the Intelligent Go tariff gets me the kind of rates you're taking about.

8 minutes ago, Crofter said:

Interestingly, when I get a quote from Octopus straight from their website, I get offered a normal E7 tariff. But searching specifically for the Intelligent Go tariff gets me the kind of rates you're taking about.

I got the same result and then searched the go tarrif price for my area. If I understand correctly I would have to switch to their eco 7 and then switch again to the go tarrif. 

I wonder how much difference that hour makes... Its generally 5.30 -7 am I use if I want the house warmed up in the morning. I'll experiment with 4-5.30am when I'm back to work. 

Be aware that you have to have a certain EV car or charger to get on intelligent go. They choose when to actually do the charge which is why they can offer such good rates. You can check what equipment is eligible on their website but it's quite restrictive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, S2D2 said:

Be aware that you have to have a certain EV car or charger to get on intelligent go. They choose when to actually do the charge which is why they can offer such good rates. You can check what equipment is eligible on their website but it's quite restrictive.

I knew there had to be some kind of a catch...

At the moment it all seems marginal - with differences on normal tariffs of well under 10%.

I made my call last autumn and did the Octopus 12m Fix, which gives me rates of 26.76 p/kWh electric, and 6.76 p/kWh gas until next autumn, with stiff exit penalties.

Plus the Octopus Loyalty Bonus reduces those by about £2 per fuel per month (=£48 per year), which seems to have been adopted by many other suppliers now.

Giving me rates quoted on my bill of 25.49p for electric and 6.44p for gas overall. I think.

Current Octopus rates are now at 28.26p and 6.61p before loyalty bonus. These are due to increase by ~5% from January I think. But I will lose out relatively in the summer period when the OFGEM Cap is forecast to come down - which is when I use very little energy.

I think it will be to my benefit by £100-£200 over the year; nice but only a small lollipop. The other bonus I get is cover against the market being upturned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crofter said:

I knew there had to be some kind of a catch...

Always.

Theres always commisons or back handers in the background.

Does anyone actually understand the octopus website? Or do you HAVE to make contact with them to actually find out what sometghing will cost?

4 minutes ago, Roger440 said:

Always.

Theres always commisons or back handers in the background.

Does anyone actually understand the octopus website? Or do you HAVE to make contact with them to actually find out what sometghing will cost?

Think this is the most useful page I've found for giving details of all tarrifs for your postcode. 

https://octopus.energy/tariffs/

Took me a while to find it. They could improve the website with some very simple changes. Make it obvious you can't switch to their more complex tarrifs until you join but at least give an option to see them on initial quote. 

32 minutes ago, Gill said:

Think this is the most useful page I've found for giving details of all tarrifs for your postcode. 

https://octopus.energy/tariffs/

Took me a while to find it. They could improve the website with some very simple changes. Make it obvious you can't switch to their more complex tarrifs until you join but at least give an option to see them on initial quote. 

Thanks. Never found that before.

But to be honest, wish id never looked. How complicated is it possible to make it? But i guess thats the idea?

Mind you, i dont understand it any way. Why do most of them have "eco7" day and night rates AND a flat rate. Surely its one or the other. ow can it possibly be both?

• Haha 1

For @Roger440 stuck down or just escaped from the rabbithole (!), here is the Octopus Smart Tariffs page, with this graphic suggesting who should consider what options. It may (or may not) help.

I don't really agree with the last line, as I value stability and am risk-averse at present.

I sympathesise with your desire for a KISS. I waited for a whole year's figures on Outgoing Agile before deciding that Outgoing Fixed would pay me more - 15p per unit exported rather than about 11p; another small step on my quest for zero net energy bills.

image.thumb.png.c2812526ae20dc8a142c137038e582fa.png

https://octopus.energy/octopus-smart-tariffs/

(I am on Outgoing Fixed for my exports - which pays me 15p per exported unit on top of my FIT payments, as I have FIT solar PV but no battery. And on Octopus Fixed October 2023 version for my incoming electric.)

I have had a look at the Octopus tariff page for my postcode.

Gives me 19 different options.

Only Intelligent Octopus Go October 2022 v1 is really cheaper than I have now, and that has a short night rate window by 2 hours.

Octopus Go February 2023 v1 is 2p/kWh more expensive at night, and a shorter window.

I think Octopus has lost the plot of tariffs (said that before).

12 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

I have had a look at the Octopus tariff page for my postcode.

Gives me 19 different options.

Only Intelligent Octopus Go October 2022 v1 is really cheaper than I have now, and that has a short night rate window by 2 hours.

Octopus Go February 2023 v1 is 2p/kWh more expensive at night, and a shorter window.

I think Octopus has lost the plot of tariffs (said that before).

Agreed. Its just bonkers.

As im still on the default scottish power standard rate i inherited when we moved in, im not seeing anything thats significantly better.

Its just presented in the most complex difficult way imaginable so as to confuse something that should be (is) simple.

I think i shall NOT contact them. I would no doubt be bombarded with emails for the rest of all time.

12 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

For @Roger440 stuck down or just escaped from the rabbithole (!), here is the Octopus Smart Tariffs page, with this graphic suggesting who should consider what options. It may (or may not) help.

I don't really agree with the last line, as I value stability and am risk-averse at present.

I sympathesise with your desire for a KISS. I waited for a whole year's figures on Outgoing Agile before deciding that Outgoing Fixed would pay me more - 15p per unit exported rather than about 11p; another small step on my quest for zero net energy bills.

image.thumb.png.c2812526ae20dc8a142c137038e582fa.png

https://octopus.energy/octopus-smart-tariffs/

(I am on Outgoing Fixed for my exports - which pays me 15p per exported unit on top of my FIT payments, as I have FIT solar PV but no battery. And on Octopus Fixed October 2023 version for my incoming electric.)

Thanks. Though maybe not about the rabbit hole.

Ive never done anything about my electricity supply as it just wasnt enough to worry about.

At the new house however, costs are high as i have electric cooker and electric shower, and more demanding, direct resistance heating in the office etc in the barn.

But as my previous post, theres not really anything to be saved unless i like lots of risk. I dont

But as discussed before the alternatives will take loooong time to break even.

• Like 1