Dodgy light fitting or dodgy electrics or dodgy bulb?

Adsibob

I have a bathroom IP44 rated wall light made by Astro, called the Astro Zeppo. It was installed by a highly competent electrician, as part of a complete re-wiring of our house. Literally everything to do with the electrics was brand new. 

It uses a G9 lightbulb. Since we moved into the house some 20 months ago, this light fitting is the only one for which I have had to change the light bulb. Not only that, but I’ve changed it about 4 times. So each light bulb is lasting less than 5 months. In some cases, it only lasts 3 months. The light is operated by a separate PIR sensor, which can be overridden to stay on by a separate switch. We override it every night so that it stays on through the night. It is therefore probably one of the most used light bulbs in the house, doing at least 10hr every night, plus coming on during the day whenever anyone walks into that bathroom.

Are G9 light bulbs normally this bad, or is something not right here? If something is not right, how do I tell if it’s the light fitting or the electrics?

Edited by Adsibob

• Adsibob changed the title to Dodgy light fitting or dodgy electrics or dodgy bulb?

I assume LED G9 lamps?  If so try a different make.  We have G9 LED's in a living room and bedroom light fitting.  Only 1 lamp failed in 5 years so far.

As it's IP44 it is probably quite well sealed.  Try opening it quickly after it has been on for a long time to see how hot it is getting inside?  That won't help lamp life if it gets hot.  Perhaps the problem is leaving it on all night?  All our G9 lamps are in open light fittings.

I've been using LEDs from before they were standard, to test them before imposing on clients.

Back then there was no guarantee.

They were really rubbish for a couple of years.

then they became more reliable but the occasional one would go bang, sometimes with visibly black cells.

when they became mainstream they were much more reliable.

Heat used to be the biggest problem, and I was informed that it was because cheap lights had glued connections and not soldered.

so that may still be the case with some.

If the lights are concealed in the ceiling then they could get hot. This may be extreme if they are in among insulation, or have a fireproof hood on them.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I assume LED G9 lamps?  If so try a different make.  We have G9 LED's in a living room and bedroom light fitting.  Only 1 lamp failed in 5 years so far.

As it's IP44 it is probably quite well sealed.  Try opening it quickly after it has been on for a long time to see how hot it is getting inside?  That won't help lamp life if it gets hot.  Perhaps the problem is leaving it on all night?  All our G9 lamps are in open light fittings.

My experience of LED G9s is that they go pop a lot more often than LED GU10s.

I find that I have to replace more at changes of tenant, even though I generally have fewer of them than GU10s. Usually no GU10s at all will have gone pop, but the T will have used up the G9 in the spare bulb selection I supply. 

I see the same pattern at home.

My sample is small enough not to be a firm guide, but is perhaps useful anecdata.

For something like that, a cheapish consumable that is a pain if it keeps breaking, perhaps a Trade Rated product from Screwfix, or a similar thing elsewhere, is a useful guide?

Pleased to have found this topic... We had a shyster for an Elec, and having  replaced several g9s before Christmas in the same room (over several weeks), I assumed something was amiss with the wiring because no other bulb in any other place in the house had needed attention.....

More fool us for having 4x wall lights, and a ceiling light that takes 6 of the damn things. 8 months in and I'm sure every bulb has been replaced now!! 😔

G9’s are pony, always have been and always will be! The G4 being the only lamp that is worse!

Especially if they are fitted into an enclosed fitting they’ll constantly fail. I never recommend G9 fittings to my customers for that reason. I still fit quite a few and always warn the customer that they will be replacing lamps regularly, otherwise I get phone calls!

Having said the above, some brands are significantly better than others. I do such a good job of avoiding supplying these things I’m not sure which though!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, saveasteading said:

If the lights are concealed in the ceiling then they could get hot. This may be extreme if they are in among insulation, or have a fireproof hood on them.

This is a surface mounted wall light. It is IP44 rated for a bathroom, so maybe sealed so well it doesn’t have any vents to cool the bulb? Maybe I should raise a complaint with the vendor… I did buy it about 2 years ago though.