Preparing Walls/Ceilings for painting

richo106

Hi all

All my house is finally plastered and now mist coated.

I have had a look round and there is few little bits with tiny bits of plaster and maybe paint etc 

Is the next step to lighting sand all the walls prior to 2 coats of emulsion or is this not really necessary?

Any advice welcomed 

• 2 months later...

I'm now also at a finished skim coat stage and wanting to start to put some paint on the walls and ceilings, I've tried searching for the pro-lite filler @nod recommends but my search only comes up with a car body filler, can you point me to the product you use please ? 

I'm more used to the automotive industry where anything resembling a shine gets sanded before painting, should I be giving my multifinish a fine sand before misting, or as plaster is porous does it not need it ? I've read both to sand and not to.

Thanks

Depends if the plasterer polished to a sheen (like the automotive) or not, if polished too much the rollers slide rather than roll to leave paint on the surface so if it’s polished, sand it.

45 minutes ago, Barnboy said:

I'm now also at a finished skim coat stage and wanting to start to put some paint on the walls and ceilings, I've tried searching for the pro-lite filler @nod recommends but my search only comes up with a car body filler, can you point me to the product you use please ? 

I'm more used to the automotive industry where anything resembling a shine gets sanded before painting, should I be giving my multifinish a fine sand before misting, or as plaster is porous does it not need it ? I've read both to sand and not to.

Thanks

Wickes have it Ready mixed 

On 20/12/2023 at 00:17, richo106 said:

Hi all

All my house is finally plastered and now mist coated.

I have had a look round and there is few little bits with tiny bits of plaster and maybe paint etc 

Is the next step to lighting sand all the walls prior to 2 coats of emulsion or is this not really necessary?

Any advice welcomed 

Same image.thumb.png.023ee073bf9e42846d32351ef37b0c2f.png

1 hour ago, nod said:

Same image.thumb.png.023ee073bf9e42846d32351ef37b0c2f.png

Thanks, I was just searching for pro-lite filler.

The plaster is fairly polished, I'll add a photo tomorrow, I'm planning on spraying everything except the bathroom ceilings.