Wall mounted basic ASHP for workshop

Mudmouse

Hi, I am looking to heat my workshop which is well insulated and has a floor area of about 50m2 with 2.2m ceilings. 

Ideally, a self contained wall-mounted unit that has basic controls and is cost effective in purchasing terms as it will probably only be used 50 days a year for about 5 hours a day.

I would self-install.

Cheers

Steve

my mate got a small spit fujitsu system installed (it's f-gas so needs a qualified installer) in his portacabin workshop - it wasn't much, under 2k IIRC.

Is very happy with it.  Allowed him to work in the summer heatwave and is keeping his workshop at a nice temp and humidity (important for woodworkers) for less than he was paying to be uncomfortable with a fan heater.

If you were self installing you would need to use the all in one unit.  They are supposed to be good for conservatories and the COP is  not terrible even down at low temps

image.png.362759f536cbb2899b443f41caa747fb.png

Interesting info.

Im just wrapping up a "warm" workshop inside my main barn, which is 25 sqm.

But currently has no heating and have been pondering my options.

My aim is to sit it at 12 degrees all the time, except when i use it when i will turn it up (whatever it is)

Primarily to maintain a stable environment and prevent corrosion etc. That and i hate being cold. Its a hobby after all.

Its a whole other minefield ive not really looked into.

9 hours ago, Roger440 said:

Primarily to maintain a stable environment and prevent corrosion etc.

Heating, cooling and dehumidification. It's a winning combination. I had a 2kW Fujitsu split installed a couple of months ago in a downstairs hobby room. Whisper quiet and does the job really well. A significant installation though, with through wall electrics, pipework for condensate etc.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have seen the domestic pumps like Powrmatic Daikin etc but they are far too expensive and sophisticated for what I am looking for.

I am currently using a convector heater but was looking for something a bit more cost effective to run – I have seen the Chinese diesel heaters but do not want to go down that route.

The workshop is well insulated and is covered by trees so in the summer it is the coolest place I have.

I would only consider a unit that would be cost effective to buy and run - looking at a four year break even so would need to be about £600 or less. The electriQ iQool 24000 BT is a possibility but I would have preferred a mono unit not a split.

I am really looking for a basic box with an on/off which I could control with a thermostat, it is after all a workshop not a living room. Otherwise as stated my convector heater would be the most cost effective.

Seems to me just about everything is connected, usually via a third party server.

Your best bet is probably a couple of fan heaters, they are quick to heat a place up as they force the air though.

£100 buys about 300 kWh of electricity. That is about what I have used in my house over the last 30 days, and I only have resistance heating.

10 hours ago, Mudmouse said:

Thanks for all the replies.

I have seen the domestic pumps like Powrmatic Daikin etc but they are far too expensive and sophisticated for what I am looking for.

I am currently using a convector heater but was looking for something a bit more cost effective to run – I have seen the Chinese diesel heaters but do not want to go down that route.

The workshop is well insulated and is covered by trees so in the summer it is the coolest place I have.

I would only consider a unit that would be cost effective to buy and run - looking at a four year break even so would need to be about £600 or less. The electriQ iQool 24000 BT is a possibility but I would have preferred a mono unit not a split.

I am really looking for a basic box with an on/off which I could control with a thermostat, it is after all a workshop not a living room. Otherwise as stated my convector heater would be the most cost effective.

Having scratched around, and read some very useful threads on here, it seems no one will sell you a pre-gassed unit without proof of the f-gas compliance of the installer. Unless its go R290 in it. Which comes with its own issues.

Im presuming this is a recent development as several people on here have bought and fitted themselves.

Does anyone know where one can buy without having to have an f-gas engineer? Doing so will smore than double the cost rendering the payback to long. More cost effective just to have a direct resistance heater. 

To the OP, r290 mini split from appliances direct, £550. Point the remote at it, heat pours out - as simple as it comes.

Appliances direct will also happily sell you an f-has variant if you just pick an installer in your area….. then never call them.

20 minutes ago, Mudmouse said:

Thank you for the replies but, as I previously mentioned, I do not want a split unit. I would then need to invest in a vacuum pump and manifold.

Buy it, use it, return it back to Amazon….

or just keep it, they’re not expensive.

On 20/12/2023 at 22:56, Roger440 said:

On 20/12/2023 at 22:56, Roger440 said:

Does anyone know where one can buy without having to have an f-gas engineer?

Saturn Air Sales.

The warranty is only provided after you've provided the fgas registration number.

The unit ships ahead of that though.

On 26/12/2023 at 08:18, markocosic said:

Saturn Air Sales.

The warranty is only provided after you've provided the fgas registration number.

The unit ships ahead of that though.

Not any more. Got to provide info up front.