Can an extension with suspended floor be used as a kitchen area?

TryC

Hey All,

If an extension has suspended floor, can it be used as a kitchen area? It has cabershield plus but I'm very worried about the load on it, e.g., washing machine,  dryer, American sized fridge freezer and oven etc.,

The builder said it was OK but I'm worried about the washing machine doing its cycle and possibly shaking the floor and over time it will just basically fall through?

I may just being paranoid about it, but what do I know since I'm not an expert but looking for peace of mind and advice appreciated. 

Also, the said cabershield plus flooring we have, some of it has been exposed to the elements for several weeks, a flooring guy came recently who measure up and he saw it and commented on the floor material (as our current kitchen is concrete), and he said its not good the edges of the cabershield was not covered up as it will soak up water and become weak. So that had me worried too. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2023 at 21:24, TryC said:

Hey All,

If an extension has suspended floor, can it be used as a kitchen area? It has cabershield plus but I'm very worried about the load on it, e.g., washing machine,  dryer, American sized fridge freezer and oven etc.,

The builder said it was OK but I'm worried about the washing machine doing its cycle and possibly shaking the floor and over time it will just basically fall through?

I may just being paranoid about it, but what do I know since I'm not an expert but looking for peace of mind and advice appreciated. 

Also, the said cabershield plus flooring we have, some of it has been exposed to the elements for several weeks, a flooring guy came recently who measure up and he saw it and commented on the floor material (as our current kitchen is concrete), and he said its not good the edges of the cabershield was not covered up as it will soak up water and become weak. So that had me worried too. 

We had a piano sitting on an old suspended floor.

Completely fine.