Paneling, infills and tile sizes in bathroom.

Few questions looking to get some opinions from those with perhaps experience of these musings.

We are thinking about paneling to a height in our bathroom, when we redo it. Less of the rebuking of paneling please.

We are thinking of using the "precast" MDF sheets for ease and cost. I'm just looking for opinions if this would be suitable for a bath panel and use of as a splash zone around the bath instead of tiles. It would be painted/glossed/sealed etc. You see plenty of examples of doing the same but I'm hesitant of longevity.

We are also looking to align the bath central to a window (omnitub if anyone is nosey)and in an "alcove" which would require spacing the bath out 48mm from the wall according to CAD drawings. CAD also suggests our bath tap filler would reach the bath sufficiently if positioned direct on the wall.

I see two options, either stud out the paneling full or part depth (i'm sure no-one will notice alignment off by 20mm) which would allow bath taps to be fitted onto the mini stud wall. Or creation of a shelf running the length of the bath and if doing this unsure if it would be tiles or if some sort of panel the same material of the bath could be purchased?

and lastly tile sizes...

We found tiles we liked that are 1200 wide, our shower enclosure would be 1200x760mm Obviously the length would be trimmed down, would it look odd having same length of tiles as the tray? I know the screen is typically set back from the edge of the tray, is this sufficient?

Opinions, thoughts, inputs?

There is something called Tricoya, it is a waterproof MDF that can even be used outside.  Never used it myself but saw a video review where they made planters out of it.

Personally I would be equally concerned about normal Mdf around the bath.  But there may be other here who have done so successfully.  My concern would be if the panelling design had horizontal sections that water would catch on.    It may be that a combo of moisture resistant MDF and that tricoya might be a solution.

Your second dilemma re spacing of bath I won’t comment because I’d have read it a couple of times but my small brain doesn’t understand maybes a sketch / photo to explain?

re the tiling of shower up to edge of tray as opposed to an overlap I don’t think it would look odd but the dilemma will be that you’ll be drilling holes for the shower screen/door/panel very close to the edge of the tiles.   I’d make sure you do a drilling test on a sample to make sure you can drill that close to the edge.  And when installing make sure  you’ve got solid timber verticals behind and the tiles adhesive is well dry.  I had to install a big screen recently near the edge of tiles.  What I did was made slight bigger holes than required so the screws didn’t go anywhere near the tiles and straight through and into the plasterboard then timber.  Lots of silicone to plug the hole.  If that makes sense.  Just everything I could to make sure the tiles didn’t crack when tightening the screws.

if your concern is seeing a cm or so of tile outside the edge of the screen could you cap / cover it with some trim that matches the shower screen / door?

15 hours ago, Bozza said:

There is something called Tricoya, it is a waterproof MDF that can even be used outside.  Never used it myself but saw a video review where they made planters out of it.

Personally I would be equally concerned about normal Mdf around the bath.  But there may be other here who have done so successfully.  My concern would be if the panelling design had horizontal sections that water would catch on.    It may be that a combo of moisture resistant MDF and that tricoya might be a solution.

Your second dilemma re spacing of bath I won’t comment because I’d have read it a couple of times but my small brain doesn’t understand maybes a sketch / photo to explain?

re the tiling of shower up to edge of tray as opposed to an overlap I don’t think it would look odd but the dilemma will be that you’ll be drilling holes for the shower screen/door/panel very close to the edge of the tiles.   I’d make sure you do a drilling test on a sample to make sure you can drill that close to the edge.  And when installing make sure  you’ve got solid timber verticals behind and the tiles adhesive is well dry.  I had to install a big screen recently near the edge of tiles.  What I did was made slight bigger holes than required so the screws didn’t go anywhere near the tiles and straight through and into the plasterboard then timber.  Lots of silicone to plug the hole.  If that makes sense.  Just everything I could to make sure the tiles didn’t crack when tightening the screws.

if your concern is seeing a cm or so of tile outside the edge of the screen could you cap / cover it with some trim that matches the shower screen / door?

I'll get something up later, but thanks!

Didn't even think about drilling and fixing near the each of tiles being an issue.

I did have the other thought that we would like a shower niche, recessed shelf. If a tile fitter could cut out part of the tile (essentially creating a U shape or a hole in the middle) or if it would best to find a niche with an opening same heigh as the tile-600mm

Yes niches are good in showers. Ours is a godsend. Just have it at the dry end of the shower would be my recommendation.  Make it big enough for everything you will need if you end up putting stuff on the floor etc defeats the point.    

So yeah basically create a full height 48mm deep false wall, or half wall with a ledge.  To reduce depth of alcove, so bath centres on window.    I have the same OCD about details like that.

For me if it was deeper than 48mm, something deep enough to put decorative stuff on, I’d create a shelf mid height or whatever.  But at 48mm it’ would likely be useless for that so I’d be tempted just to stud all the way up and as you say good space to run pipes etc.  if you intend to panel this alcove it’s certainly going to be easier just to have the flat wall all the way up rather than stepping in 48mm.

However if you intend just to panel half height or whatever and leave upper half as plain wall what you could do it’s create a rectangular recess in that new false stud (48mm deep obviously) and have  a large piece of art or a framed mirror in it.  A shallower version of the attached pic, which is what we did to camouflage a vertical boxed in soil pipe.  That could look quite good especially if the recess is same shape of artwork or whatever.  As I think you’re going for a fancy lux look with the panelling etc a big mirror with a fancy frame might fit in with the styling.  

just an idea…

regards Bozza Llewelyn-Bowen

IMG_1572.jpeg

Edited by Bozza
  • Like 1