leaking door

Alwayslearning22

My front door is letting water in when it rains heavy. The water gets into the threshold and drains ok but if too much water gets in, it finds its way into the house filling the channel where the inner seal sits and over flowing into house.  

Anyone have any idea what I could do to fix this issue. 

I marked with a blue line in the picture where the water seeps through into the house, fills underneath the channel where the seal slots into. 

door thershold.jpg

door threshold.jpg

ANY inward opening door will leak a bit.  Our Rationel doors do.  But it is understandable when you look at the physics.

We have a west facing inward opening door.  Wind driven rain regardless of any outside detail will run down the door and when it gets to the bottom, the outer seal stops it.  This is the seal sealing the door to the frame.  BUT there will be a small amount of water sitting in between the frame and the door above the seal.  Guess where that goes when you open the door, yes, inside.

If it is leaking all the time even when the door remains shut, then one of the seals is damaged, poorly designed or the door is not adjusted correctly to compress the seal when shut.

We had this very problem with out Rationel inward opening front door.  The problem was when it rained heavily, with a prevailing wind towards the door, rainwater seeped in.

initial action was to clear the external drainage slots in the threshold of any debris grit etc.  To make sure that’s not the issue.  If it’s not that, as was the case was with ours, we got a new door under warranty and it was fitted with tight adjustment.  The frame and threshold wasn’t changed.

This resolved the issue.  So per what @ProDave and @Mr Punter has said, it’s likely to be the seals either being faulty and /or the door or needs adjusting to tighten the seals..

if i recall correctly the threshold drainage system in the frame is only secondary designed to drain away drips and residual water, and is not the primary method, it’s the main seals that do that.   Shut and latch up your door handle to get a full seal then pour a jug of water down the outside of the door.  If that seeps in I’m fairly certain it’s the main seals / adjustment issue, not the threshold.

5 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

The water should not get that far.  The ACO should keep 99% away but would be better nearer the door.  The bit of marble? outside looks quite high.  Can we see a picture from outside?  Is the bottom of the frame sealed?

thats actually the sill you see outside its all in one. threshold/sill. ill get a pic tomrorow when its light 

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

ANY inward opening door will leak a bit.  Our Rationel doors do.  But it is understandable when you look at the physics.

We have a west facing inward opening door.  Wind driven rain regardless of any outside detail will run down the door and when it gets to the bottom, the outer seal stops it.  This is the seal sealing the door to the frame.  BUT there will be a small amount of water sitting in between the frame and the door above the seal.  Guess where that goes when you open the door, yes, inside.

If it is leaking all the time even when the door remains shut, then one of the seals is damaged, poorly designed or the door is not adjusted correctly to compress the seal when shut.

thanks for the reply.

actually that makes sense. 

I have the door compressing tight now at the bottom it wasn't very tight.

I have noticed that the bottom of the frame had some sealant where it sits on the threshold but that's peeling away. I'm thinking that would allow water to enter the threshold.

would it be a bad idea to run a bead of silicone along the bottom of the  inner seal and frame, to stop water from getting inside? 

4 hours ago, Bozza said:

We had this very problem with out Rationel inward opening front door.  The problem was when it rained heavily, with a prevailing wind towards the door, rainwater seeped in.

initial action was to clear the external drainage slots in the threshold of any debris grit etc.  To make sure that’s not the issue.  If it’s not that, as was the case was with ours, we got a new door under warranty and it was fitted with tight adjustment.  The frame and threshold wasn’t changed.

This resolved the issue.  So per what @ProDave and @Mr Punter has said, it’s likely to be the seals either being faulty and /or the door or needs adjusting to tighten the seals..

if i recall correctly the threshold drainage system in the frame is only secondary designed to drain away drips and residual water, and is not the primary method, it’s the main seals that do that.   Shut and latch up your door handle to get a full seal then pour a jug of water down the outside of the door.  If that seeps in I’m fairly certain it’s the main seals / adjustment issue, not the threshold.

4 hours ago, Bozza said:

Ok so it makes sense why its not water tight around the inner seal. 

I've the door compressing a bit tighter now although it doesnt look water tight to be honest. 

As i said above the sealent at bottom of the frame is peeling. that could be my main problem area?

threshold 4.jpg