Taylor Wimpey "Net Zero" Chobham Manor houses use 3x expected energy

7 hours ago, Kelvin said:

In which case nothing will change and the UK will continue to build sub-standard houses. Commercial buildings are typically built to a higher standard so the building industry is capable of doing it. 

If you can’t test every house or substantially enough of them randomly with no notice then the regulations mean nothing which is exactly where we are today and why we have the example that started this thread. 

The culture change can only come from the boards of the big building companies. Like I said they need to think about their ‘just cause’ and configure their businesses to meet it. Here’s the Taylor Wimpey why choose us page, match that to the opening post. I doubt it’s a one off example of that particular set of TW houses. They will all be the same or similar. 

https://www.taylorwimpey.co.uk/why-choose-us/why-taylor-wimpey

Knowing what I now know about building I’d advise no one to ever buy a new build as you can be reasonably certain they are mostly all poorly built. 

Taking your first sentance, yes, thats correct. Nothing will change. Because it cant change. There are not the resouces to do it.

Second sentance, not in my experience. Just as bad. That said, ive only seem a small sample.

Agree with the rest.

7 hours ago, Simon R said:

Perhaps we should follow the Germans and make it law.

https://www.renewable-ei.org/en/activities/column/REupdate/20220721.php

Having no experience of house building, with the aid of the folks of on this forum have managed to build a very low energy house, so it's not rocket science. I had the choice of multiple build methods all of which could deliver a low energy solution. I also don't believe it costs appreciably more that traditional methods. We all know the story of the motor manufactures who pushed back against the cost of fitting seat belts....the same is true of the building industry today. The consequences of not fixing this is bad for the planet and bad for the economy.

I refer you to my earlier post. So what if its law? If no one enforces it, it will be ignore with impunity. Just like all the current regs.

There is no one to enforce such a law.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 16:20, joth said:

All very familiar sounding.

Our principal contractor sent their air test guy, he was telling me all the "tricks" to improve the result. He just couldn't understand when I said no, I wanted the genuine result not a contrived one, even when I pointed out as the occupier, not a property developer looking to flip it.

This is why I was interested if the remedial works consultant, working on behalf of the owner, did a honest air test.for them

@joth Out of interest what were the "tricks" he wanted to use. I had our BCO tell me I could I could tape up the windows and doors - but I don't think I want to, since it sort of defeats the point of buying the triple glazed windows etc. and we won't be living like that. I wasn't clear where all the "rules" were written down 😏

16 minutes ago, tuftythesquirrel said:

@joth Out of interest what were the "tricks" he wanted to use. I had our BCO tell me I could I could tape up the windows and doors - but I don't think I want to, since it sort of defeats the point of buying the triple glazed windows etc. and we won't be living like that. I wasn't clear where all the "rules" were written down 😏

Tighten the cams in the windows until they were virtually unusable (pushes the sashes firmly onto the baffle).

Use the shittiest fitting door as the one you replace with the air-tightness fan. (in the end we used the best-fitting window).

Ensure all shower traps etc are filled, or tape them over. (Fair enough. Except we later found one shallow trap actually wasn't full but nvmd got 0.5 anyway)

But I think the most negotiable one is to be 'generous' with the calculation on treated floor area and volume of the building, especially relating to noncuboidal shapes (vaulted ceilings etc)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/12/2023 at 13:38, joth said:

Do they mention what the airtightness test result was? 

I asked and they didn't get airtightness done at the same time as thermal survey, as they thought Taylor Wimpey would ignore it (too true).

They shared the build airtightness certificate.

Amazing coincidence to be designed for 5.00 and get 4.98...

11 hours ago, tuftythesquirrel said:

what were the "tricks" he wanted to use

I think it is simply writing down the number of your choice, within the bounds of possibilty.

I did a fairly ropy refurb of an old shed once, making it clear to the client what he was asking for and getting. He then let it as an office.

He got an epc done. Would have been lucky to get E but it was B.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, saveasteading said:

And cost the sum of £200. A proper assessment takes many hours and costs a lot more than that.

Reminded me of the old days of being able to buy a dodgy mot or electrical sign-off cert.

The latter of those two is still doable without too much trouble.