Unusual 'gingerbread' roof detail

Cookie

Hello! We have a detail on our roof edges in the V of the barge boards, which is a flat panel with a star cut out detail. As seems usual, it's one of those things the architect just said 'builders will figure it out on site' when asked his opinion on how to complete this. It has to be one solid sheet with as little future upkeep as possible. Builder has suggested a sheet of Trespa Meteon which we can cut the detail out of. Seems a good plan, is a little steep on costs and delivery of one sheet! Would anyone have an idea of how else this might be done? FYI The base of the triangle the star is in is approx 1.5m and the height approx 0.8m. Thanks in advance!

star detail.jpg

OK, I'll be the first!

I am not sure what your problem is. Can you elaborate?

You have drawings so you have an idea of the size. As far as I can see you just need to build to that point, check the 'real' measurements and cut and install your triangle to prepared fixing points.

Is it the choice of board, the cutting of the star itself, the exact measurement, or A N Other thing upon which you need advice? 

One thing I'd want to know is what the cut edges of the board would look after machining. It's no good getting a self-coloured board that then requires a bit of ('matching'?) paint slapped on when it's cut.

• Like 1

Can I suggest an alternative?

I'd think about an apex swift box, instead.

The sizing looks about right for 6 or 10 nesting spaces.

Something like this:

_DSC0265.JPG

A bit of due diligence needed, but I think it is preferable.

eg These people do them in 42 or 45 roof angles, or can customise.

https://peakboxes.co.uk/shop-swift-boxes

All the best.

Ferdinand

• Like 3

Hi Readers of the above post. This is a lovely idea but please be aware that the ideal site for Swift Nest Boxes is under the eaves or on walls facing north, northeast or north-west out of direct sunlight. Place five metres above the ground, with clear adjacent airspace so swifts can access it in a high-speed direct flight for best results..

_DSC0265.JPG

Marvin

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Hi Readers of the above post. This is a lovely idea but please be aware that the ideal site for Swift Nest Boxes is under the eaves or on walls facing north, northeast or north-west out of direct sunlight. Place five metres above the ground, with clear adjacent airspace so swifts can access it in a high-speed direct flight for best results..

Marvin

Tanks @Marvin - good advice, I believe E or W facing can also succeed and also somewhat higher than 5m (estimating a normal roofline height).

ATB.

• Like 2

Take the cladding right up to the top and screw a bit of power coated mild steel with a star cut out on the outside.

Otherwise the interface between the star bit and the cladding is just a nuisance and, frankly, not something the architect should have washed their hand of.

Edited by George
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Redbeard said:

it the choice of board, the cutting of the star itself, the exact measurement, or A N Other thing upon which you need advice? 

It's the choice of board - was just trying to find a more cost-effective option which isn't the Meteon board! The cutting of the star - the builder seems confident but any tips would be more than welcome. Thanks!

9 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

I'd think about an apex swift box, instead.

Have swift box elsewhere. This is a detail which is going to happen, I'm just looking for advice on a sheet product which might be useful. Thanks!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, George said:

Take the cladding right up to the top and screw a bit of power coated mild steel with a star cut out on the outside.

Otherwise the interface between the star bit and the cladding is just a nuisance and, frankly, not something the architect should have washed their hand of.

Thanks, I'll take a look at this option. The architect has washed his hands of most of the tricky details, he's useless after he was paid the ridiculous sum for the job.

You could use some cladding boards with the star shape cut out of multiple

https://www.cedral.world/en-gb/cladding/our-products/cedral-click/

These are pre painted and would not need to be treated. It's even possible that the raw cut inside the star would actually look quite attractive

The super-cheap alternative would be some suitably painted concrete board like an aquaboard offcut

Regards

Tet

• Like 1