When is a self build house considered completely built?

iMCaan

Hi

An MCS accredited engineer has confirmed that my self-build house is eligible for BUS grant subject to EPC on completion of the build. At what stage of the build is a house considered completely built? Is it when kitchen and toiler are fitted? If so, then I'll  be waiting 'till late summer with my current build progress to get the EPC and BUS grant for ASHP. Do I wait that long or do I just fit a boiler?

The house is currently water tight, roof and windows are all in. No internal work has yet started. It could be late summer when I move in.

Thanks

The answer to your question depends on who is asking you. 

• HMRC - a few months (6?) after the house is officially listed for Valuation  (Has an official rateable value)
  • BCO - when every bit of paperwork has been signed off
  • Purchaser - when you agree a price, and are paid irrespective of the state of your paperwork
  • SWMBO - several years after you think it's all finished
  • You, as soon you think you can bear it
  • The Local Authority Valuation Officer: when she '...feels the time is right....' subject to confirmation ( BP 180/100 remembering that bit)
  • When the questioner tells you exactly which bits of paper they need to give you some money

Not what we all want to hear I expect, but there's my hard-bitten p!ssed-off take on your question. 

14 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

• HMRC - a few months (6?) after the house is officially listed for Valuation  (Has an official rateable value)
  • Purchaser - when you agree a price, and are paid irrespective of the state of your paperwork
  • The Local Authority Valuation Officer: when she '...feels the time is right....' subject to confirmation ( BP 180/100 remembering that bit)
  • When the questioner tells you exactly which bits of paper they need to give you some money

Not what we all want to hear I expect, but there's my hard-bitten p!ssed-off take on your question. 

Too true. Mortgage company, insurance company (ies), building warranty supplier, Local authority CIL department  and Royal Mail also have their own views. But I think for most purposes when building control issue the completion certificate is the default acceptance of it being complete

Back to the question and my first response

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/environmental-and-social-schemes/boiler-upgrade-scheme-bus/property-owners

"We do not check EPC reports for eligible self-builds."

So no need for an EPC if you qualify as a self build. Fig 2 on page 28 of the attached clearly say no EPC needed at any stage, in the guidance notes by ofgem.

So fill your boots and get it installed ASAP.

BUS PO guidance V2.3.pdf

• Thanks 2

Thank you all. As always a lot more information than I was expecting. Thank you.

17 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

None of the above. It was just me asking to see how long I had to wait before I can get the EPC for BUS. However, I may not need the EPC as JohnMo states above post.

16 hours ago, JohnMo said:

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/environmental-and-social-schemes/boiler-upgrade-scheme-bus/property-owners

So no need for an EPC if you qualify as a self build. Fig 2 on page 28 of the attached clearly say no EPC needed at any stage, in the guidance notes by ofgem.

BUS PO guidance V2.3.pdf 725.48 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks @JohnMo I will check this out.

8 minutes ago, jayc89 said:

When you start thinking about the extension? 

LOL extension is already built. The planning officer objected saying  the house is too dominant for the street and attached garage has to be set back slightly to appear like an extension (yep that's what he said).

Edited by iMCaan

45 minutes ago, iMCaan said:

LOL extension is already built. The planning officer objected saying  the house is too dominant for the street and attached garage has to be set back slightly to appear like an extension (yep that's what he said).

We live on a street which was self-build central in the early 2000s, a real eclectic mix. Our PO wouldn't allow us to use timber cladding on one elevation because "it wouldn't be in keeping with the surrounding area" 🤦‍♂️ 

Render is fine though, even though there are zero houses on the street that are rendered. Go figure. 

What's strange is that my stone built 6 bed house is definitely isn't "keeping with the surrounding area" (affordable 2/3 bed brick houses). 

My 6 bed house is too dominate, which was main objection, even with the attached garage slightly set back.

23 hours ago, JohnMo said:

BUS PO guidance V2.3.pdf 725.48 kB · 5 downloads

I've managed to read through the guidance. I agree EPC is not required for a self-build. I  can provide the evidence to prove the house is a self-build (paragraph 5.14):

• proof of property ownership (eg a copy of title deeds, contract of sale)

• documents confirming you received a self-build VAT exemption, self-build loan or mortgage

• an invoice for substantial structural materials or labour (eg foundations or timber frame, smaller works such as re-wiring or kitchen-fitting will not be sufficient)

• self-build insurance

• copies of bank statements

• trader and builders’ invoices or contracts. Property owner

So let's see what MCS BUS approved installers quote.

Thank you.