Wiring faceplates, the earth wires. what's your preference? (just curious)

Thorfun

Unless the circuit is designed to have a high integrity earth added (usually an IT room or other area with dc current leakage, like a fruit machine room) then it's a preference thing. 

I tend to use both elements of the ring/radial in the same terminal, with the link to the backbox in the other. 

For me, it's all about the dressing of the cables back into the space that's more significant, it's all about the butterfly shape! 

Correctly dressed wires will massively reduce the risk of pinching, being pulled out, and damaged by faceplate screws. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I go with both in one like @ProDave says, I always double over a single wire to act like two if it’s the only one under a screw.

for completeness I prefer two wires in one too. I also double over a single wire so putting both in the single connector means I don't have to worry about folding each single wire.

I was just curious what others thought. I did the separate one and then decided I didn't like it as much so all the others are two-in-one. glad I'm in agreement with the majority. 

2 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

for completeness I prefer two wires in one too. I also double over a single wire so putting both in the single connector means I don't have to worry about folding each single wire.

I was just curious what others thought. I did the separate one and then decided I didn't like it as much so all the others are two-in-one. glad I'm in agreement with the majority. 

When I first use a new brand or model when second fixing, I take one if the grub screws out and examine it. 

Some will have a flat, some round and some have a pointed tip. 

I've even seen ones with off centre poorly machined tips that carve into the copper like a drill bit. 

Screwfix now sell Sockets with wago style lever terminals which I think is the future. 

One lever per wire, solid connection, easy to identify and separate for continuity issues. 

Retermination doesn't damage either the wires or terminals either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FuerteStu said:

Screenshot_20231009_083800_Chrome.jpg

they look great but they are £6.50 each inc VAT. https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-logic-plus-rapid-fix-13a-2-gang-dp-switched-socket-white-with-white-inserts-5-pack/313ph

my Hager faceplates cost me £2.11 inc VAT and I had to buy 82 of them. so would've cost me £360 more. now, if I was paying a sparky to do the second fix I would recoup that in time saved on labour for sure but as I'm doing it myself then I can't justify that extra cost. 

don't get me wrong. I absolutely love the Wago connectors. if only these were a bit cheaper and I hadn't already bought 82 Hager ones I might've been persuaded. 🤣

• Like 1