Joists....Have I boobed?

Dee

6 hours ago, joe90 said:

I maybe wrong but I cant see any supports fir that pipe., if not hot water in it may make it sag over time, if you do the “ply” thing I suggested earlier this will also support the pipe 👍 2 birds with one stone and all that 🤷‍♂️

I screwed brackets under the joists to support the waste....is that sufficient?

9 minutes ago, Dee said:

I screwed brackets under the joists to support the waste....is that sufficient?

Ah could not see those, yes but as said above sistering or ply will mitigate any risk of the timber You removed.

• Thanks 1

When I had to add some 'sister' joists in my first floor extension to strengthen the existing joists, my Building Inspector suggested using M12 bolts with these double-sided toothplate washers 'sandwiched' in-between the existing and new timbers:-

https://www.screwfix.com/p/sabrefix-m12-timber-connector-galvanised-dx275-50mm-x-50mm-50-pack/99094

Edited by MAB
  • Thanks 1

Build regs guy says I might need to skim.....I used Knauf 12.5 tapered plasterboard on the walls and 12.5mm pink fire rated pb on the ceiling.

The floor area is more than 4m² so he says it has to meet C-s3, d2 fire rating. Knauf state the wall board is A2, whats the difference ??? 

Cant afford to skim!

I'd have to check, but I'm 98% sure you don't need to skim.

You could ask him where it says so. I suspect he's bluffing it.

I went on a  fire course where they showed an actual fire test, that demonstrated that even open joints ( exposing a few mm of timber) stayed integral.  That's just btw, for your comfort. You'll be filling and taping?

• Thanks 1

A is good (A1 is non-combustible) F is bad - easily combustible. So an A rated plasterboard is better than the requirement for a C rated surface. Knuaf class their board as A2 which is limited combustibility probably because of the paper surface. 

Do not confuse spread of flame classifications such as these with fire resistance. That's something else. The BCO is saying your ceiling should resist the potential for a flame to spread across the surface to an equivalent standard of at least C-s3, d2. So thats C - limited contribution to fire, then s3 relates to smoke generation in this case emissions with a high volume intensity (scale is s1 to s3). Then d2 which refers to the tendency of the surface to produce burning droplets (scale d0 to d2). D2 is the tendency to produce high/intense dripping droplets.

So your ceiling must be better than one that has a limited contribution to fire, produces high volumes of smoke and produces high/intense levels of droplets. Well a plasterboarded ceiling will have an A2 limited combustibility rating (as per Knauf), probably has a s1 rating (emissions absent or very limited) and a d0 droplet rating (no burning droplets).

I can't see why a BCO should ever query a plasterboard ceiling when tested against the C-s3, d2 classification required by Table 4.1 of requirement B2. It's way better than that.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Dee said:

just being particularly officious with me

They don't know everything.

The fee doesn't allow much time for research.

It is easier / less risky to ask you to do more than less.

I suggesf you just say that you've decided to tape and joint instead.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, saveasteading said:

He said he wouldn't even necessarily do a site visit either!

What exactly is the point of them???

If he does it woukd be when it's totally completed, ....everything important will be hidden by then! He'll just see me exquisite taste in decor......is there a code for that 😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dee said:
12 hours ago, saveasteading said:

He said he wouldn't even necessarily do a site visit either!

What exactly is the point of them???

Very important role. Reading on BH we hear of bad experiences with incompetent builders. There would be far more problems without bcos. These could become big issues to later users of a property. 

Then there are the incompetent self builders....they aren't on B H of course. 

• Sad 1