Reed relay required for electric gate project

joe90

Thanks guys, so, 200k ohm 1/4watt resistor in parallel with the LED driver and i guess I keep the capacitor/resistor I tried as spark quench.? ( I better understand electrical mechanicals, relays etc than electronics 🤯) right ordered resistors but if this does not work I will use a relay (type, spec, source appreciated). 

Edited by joe90

Just now, joe90 said:

Thanks @Onoff, OMG,the internet is a dangerous place, I have discovered SSR,s and Triacs 🤯, oh I love to learn stuff (but may be too old to understand 🙄).

I never did, thought I perhaps could, couldn't and now don't care. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Onoff said:

So you just want a relay, with a 230V coil, that'll switch 230V at some amps?

Yes but will give the resistor/Reed switch a try (cuz I am stubborn 🤷‍♂️).

36 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Forget them, what you need is a gate turn-off thyristor.

It even has gate in the name.

200px-GTO_thyristor_equivalent.svg.png

Ha, I googled that, yes may well be a good idea but the science confused me (not difficult).🤯

On 23/11/2023 at 18:13, Onoff said:

So you just want a relay, with a 230V coil, that'll switch 230V at some amps?

Yes, spark quench etc did not work , can someone point me at a suitable relay please or a suitable GTO as posted by @SteamyTea above (I would prefer the solid state solution). My reading of the GTO is that it acts exactly like a relay (applied voltage switches on, voltage off switches off 🤯). 

Edited by joe90

On 27/11/2023 at 16:24, joe90 said:

Yes, spark quench etc did not work , can someone point me at a suitable relay please or a suitable GTO as posted by @SteamyTea above (I would prefer the solid state solution). My reading of the GTO is that it acts exactly like a relay (applied voltage switches on, voltage off switches off 🤯). 

Bump please

18 minutes ago, Onoff said:

All I can offer is traditional relays. Probably with a DIN rail mounting base. 

Thanks mate but space is tight within the motor unit and not sure it will fit, if no other solution I may try it đź‘Ť.

Hooray, success!!, I managed to source a minature relay. Although the Reed was probably within spec I didn’t like the arc within it, a failure in the future I recon, this is my “test bed”, will wire it in situ tomorrow ( if it warms up a bit 🤷‍♂️)

IMG_0324.jpeg

• Like 1