Decent VOIP cordless handsets

Looking at a full FTTP install that obviously doesn’t come with a standard landline or breakout for an RJ11.

Already have a Sipgate account and number with a soft phone but does anyone have any recommendation for a decent DECT type handset that allows either Wi-Fi or a PoE base unit connection that isn’t £300…

18 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Looking at a full FTTP install that obviously doesn’t come with a standard landline or breakout for an RJ11.

Already have a Sipgate account and number with a soft phone but does anyone have any recommendation for a decent DECT type handset that allows either Wi-Fi or a PoE base unit connection that isn’t £300…

For a VoIP direct WiFi (not DECT) handset, I like my Grandtsream WP810.

https://www.netxl.com/wifi-phones/grandstream-wp810-portable-wifi-phone/

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Legitimate question... why do people still want a phone attached to a residential property?  With mobile phone ownership and use so ubiquitous these days and with the advent of FTTP I fail to see the need, other than in some edge cases.

2 hours ago, TDK said:

Legitimate question... why do people still want a phone attached to a residential property?  With mobile phone ownership and use so ubiquitous these days and with the advent of FTTP I fail to see the need, other than in some edge cases.

Once the landline number is ported to VOIP, it's no longer "attached" to a residential address. While it will work on a VOIP handset, connected to the house network, it will also work on any mobile phone that's connected to mobile data. Keeping the old landline number, that others are familiar with and for others identifying a location, is just convenient and can cost as little as a few pounds a month. I pay £4.99/month with 100 mins of inclusive UK landline/mobile minutes. VOIP also open up the opportunity for cheap International calls, if you have the need.

Edited by IanR
  • Like 1

I ditched my landline over a decade ago.

I really do not see the point of them these days.

I use mobile broadband as well, 4G is plenty fast enough for me, but in the not to distant future we will all have 5G.

For the last extreme rural people, satellite is available.

• 1 month later...
On 28/10/2023 at 22:35, PeterW said:

We were given one of these with our VOIP service.  Works great and the base station supports PoE so doesn't even need a socket which is good. Pretty sure you can set this up with any SIP account.

https://www.yealink.com/en/product-detail/zoom-phone-w60p

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yealink-Bundle-Package-Handset-Station-Black/dp/B076WVZY2P?th=1

@IanR What VOIP provider to you use?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dan F said:

@IanR What VOIP provider to you use?

I'm using Yay.com 

They do a free 14 day trial. iirc it was around £25 to port a number. I'm impressed with the service, even for their lowest cost option. Loads of storage for voicemail and call recording. The voice-to-text transcripts are pretty good too that gets emailed and stored on the account, when voicemails are left.

• Like 2