Is Howdens cheaper than online retailers?

Thorfun

24 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

That isnt remotely the same door spec as the one that @BuzzBuzz quotes above. Plaun ply against oak veneer. Just make sure you know what you want.

We don’t want oak. We also don’t want to pay £160 per door! 

doors are easy to change later on and our coffers are dry. So it’s not a case of what we want anymore but a case of what we can afford 😢

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thorfun said:

doors are easy to change later on and our coffers are dry. So it’s not a case of what we want anymore but a case of what we can afford 😢

Facebook marketplace. If you have a vehicle you can pick doors up in, you can get a set for under £50. Or free because people can't get rid of them.

Depending on your house size you might need 2 sets which won't match, but they'll tide you over. I got a still-shrinkwrapped Wickes £30 door for free that way.

• Like 1

no, Howdens is never cheaper than the better quality competitors online, but they will (with the right technique) price match or beat the price.

if you're not getting any joy, however, don't waste your time. for every item they sell, there are better and cheaper options online.

for example, if you need kitchens, DIY kitchens beats any supplier in the UK in terms of everything.

worktop express beats anyone on worktop.

national skirting beats everyone on skirting boards and architraves etc. ...

you get the point

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

that's GB, not UK, generally...

That's GB excluding Highland and Aberdeenshire from what somebody said earlier. Thats a crazy loss of business potential or genuinely uneducated on the nation  I can't say. 

Amazon, Sainsburys, John Lewis or Screwfix etc  will deliver to the door but they won't.

Because?? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Thorfun said:

@Buzz. don't suppose you could get me the price from Howdens for this door could you please? 6'6" x 2'9"

https://www.howdens.com/joinery/doors/howdens-linear-oak-pre-finished-door-obj-sku-family-die7160

just would like to compare with the price for the XL Joinery door from my local BM

These seem a bit on the high side for me 

Screenshot_20231109_191928_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Buzz said:

Had a Mail shot the other day and they are doing an unfinished daytona  for £60 .

bloody hell that's cheap! I wonder what the difference is for between the Daytona and the Linear?

Edited by Thorfun
I'm an idiot

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

think we'll still go for these XL doors though https://www.doorgiant.com/oak-doors/xl-joinery-palermo-essential-internal-oak-door-oak-finish/

says the XL's lipping is 20mm on all 4 sides whereas the Howdens Daytona is only 10mm on 3 sides.

They do look nice and you have to go with what you want, at least you know that they are a good price and unlikely to find anything similar much cheaper 

• Like 1