Making home-made pod 'mobile' to meet Building Regs criteria

Grian

I obtained planning permission to build a shepherd's hut (5.4 x 2.6m) for letting in the curtilage of our house - the topography means it needs to be built on site. I didn't actually want the expense of the chassis and the planning authority agreed to me not having it so it is now going to be a hut-shaped pod (bed, kitchenette, en-suite). I do still need the building to be mobile so that Building Regs only involvement remains in the connection to the septic tank.

As I understand it the building has only to be technically mobile - i.e. though the site is not accessible by crane if I could demonstrate that the structure could be moved using one then that would satisfy requirements. The other alternative I am aware of is to build it on skids, again it wouldn't be easy to actually tow it away but that shouldn't matter. For either of these options to work the structure would need to be adapted, I imagine, to cope with the hypothetical means of transport. I would be very grateful for advice how best to do it in order to convince the building regs inspector it definitely is 'mobile'? Thank you!

Edited by Grian

It does not have to be on wheels.  The usual method is make a number of concrete pads either cast concrete or concrete blocks and build a timber frame of joists that literally just sit on your concrete pads.  Then you can justifiably say the whole building can be lifted by a crane onto a low loader truck and be moved that way.  Several on here have build substantial buildings like that without problem and they have been classed as a "caravan"

• Like 2

However, Section 121 of the Building Act 1984 says:

121Meaning of “building”.

(1)The word “building”, for the purposes of—

(a)Part I of this Act, and

(b)any other enactment (whether or not contained in this Act) that relates to building regulations, or that mentions “buildings” or “a building” in a context from which it appears that those expressions are there intended to have the same meaning as in Part I of this Act,

means any permanent or temporary building, and, unless the context otherwise requires, it includes any other structure or erection of whatever kind or nature (whether permanent or temporary).

(2)In subsection (1) above, “structure or erection” includes a vehicle, vessel, hovercraft, aircraft or other movable object of any kind in such circumstances as may be prescribed (being circumstances that in the opinion of the [F1appropriate national authority] justify treating it for those purposes as a building).

(3)For the purposes mentioned in subsection (1) above, unless the context otherwise requires—

(a)a reference to a building includes a reference to part of a building and

(b)a reference to the provision of services, fittings and equipment in or in connection with buildings, or to services, fittings and equipment so provided, includes a reference to the affixing of things to buildings or, as the case may be, to things so affixed.

• Like 1

The 'mobility' is inherent to the structure and not its location. You can have a suitable structure located in a courtyard or under power lines etc where no crane could ever reach it- or down the end of a narrow winding track which is cannot physically fit through.

The reasoning behind this is that you could have craned it on to the site and then in the intervening years trees can grow, buildings can be added, which box in the mobile unit. It remains legally a portable building though.

So on site fabrication is fine. But you do have to have a plausible way of showing that it could be lifted/moved. That means a monolithic structure, not reliant on continuous support from a concrete raft or masonry underbuilding. No dwarf walls- your joists will need to span the full width. Not a problem on a shepherd's hut.

In my own case, I built a rectangular 'chassis' from heavy timber. The walls are fixed on top of it, the joists are hung within it, like the rungs of a ladder. The chassis is supported at eight locations but that's pretty arbitrary.

In theory you could put slings under it, or jack it up and back a trailer underneath. Total weight of the ~10x5m building is about 10t.

If you look at my early blog entries you'll see how it went together.

• Like 2

The Building Act 1984 doesn't apply to Scotland. However, if classed as a "building" in England it would be exempt as being less than 15m2 floor area. Note that in England you will have to comply with the Regulatory Reform (Fire Precautions) Order 1995 as it is a holiday let. Don't know how Scotland views this though.

For interest the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 defines a caravan as:

“caravan” means any structure designed or adapted for human habitation which is capable of being moved from one place to another (whether by being towed, or by being transported on a motor vehicle or trailer) and any motor vehicle so designed or adapted, but does not include—

(a)

any railway rolling stock which is for the time being on rails forming part of a railway system, or

(b)

any tent;

The Caravan Sites Act 1968 seems to suggest a "caravan" has to be able to be lawfully moved from one place to another on a highway whether that be being towed or transported on a vehicle or trailer as it excludes twin units because they can't. If your hut can be physically lifted onto a truck and moved to another location then that's a good argument for being a caravan.

• Like 1

In Scotland at least, twin units comply- but that's not worth the hassle for a shepherd's hut.

The other route to go down is hutting, which is a specific type of building in Scotland, with relaxed planning and building control rules. But the OP will have no problem calling his shepherd's hut a caravan.

Is Argyll full of glamping pods? If so the planners will be very familiar with the concept of portable buildings.

• Like 1

Argyll has pods and huts aplenty and the planners were surprisingly comfortable with the evolution of my hybrid, though very particular about the actual siting, down to the last meter. My concern has been Building Control and the mobile criteria but a timber ring beam should to be just the job, what a relief to have a solution. As soon as I understand the spec required then I will press on before there are new hoops to jump through (the short-term lets licensing was a twinkle in the politician's eye when I started this project!).

Again many thanks indeed for all the input!

7 minutes ago, Grian said:

Argyll has pods and huts aplenty and the planners were surprisingly comfortable with the evolution of my hybrid, though very particular about the actual siting, down to the last meter. My concern has been Building Control and the mobile criteria but a timber ring beam should to be just the job, what a relief to have a solution. As soon as I understand the spec required then I will press on before there are new hoops to jump through (the short-term lets licensing was a twinkle in the politician's eye when I started this project!).

Again many thanks indeed for all the input!

The caravan legislation dates back to 1968, I wouldn't worry about changes there!

How have A&B Council handled the STL rules? It sounds like some councils are slightly taking the mick with the fees. In Highland it's no bother, it's an extra cost of about £150/yr, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about tbh. I was kind of surprised, when we started the STL business, that there was so little regulation compared to long term lets.

On 24/10/2023 at 18:24, Grian said:

I'm in Scotland, Argyll. Thank you for replies. I will look at your blog Crofter, sounds as though you have the solution, muchos gracias!

It's good to add this to your profile as it does make a difference when folk are replying to your questions.