Shower panels advice

Dee

Hi

I'm creating a new shower and decided to line it with wet wall panels.

1 wall is brick and two walls are stud work.

My question is; Do I put anything between the studs and panel? Or do the panels go directly onto the stud work? What would I use if something has to go behind the panels? Cement board is too heavy.

There are sooo much conflicting advice on this I don't know which way to go!

https://www.ukbathrooms.com/products/multipanel-silicone-sealant-in-clear.html?msclkid=ec5032152763108f5cb9572f1df797b6&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=CJ - Bing Shopping (All Products)&utm_term=4578572647514174&utm_content=All Products

this sort of thing.

can’t see the point of plasterboarding myself. But you need to make sure you have enough studwork for it to be solid. Should be instructions with the panels

• Thanks 1

We used the cheaper end hollow PVC panels and on their own I think they'd have felt a bit too flimsy straight onto the stud even narrowly spaced. Higher end solid core panels would probably feel fine.

We screwed 10mm insulated tile backer boards to the studs and then used adhesive between that an the hollow panels. Those boards are light, insulated and another layer of waterproofing, esp at corners and around the tray, but would be pricey if we hadn't had tile backer spare.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

ive fitted the fibo ones, i lined the walls with green plasterboard then stuck the panels on with stixall and used down conning 785+ between the tong and grooves. you can do corners with the corner trims but they look awful so just plan your way of doing it. i did 3 wall around a bath. idid the long side of the bath first then the rest. you can cut them will a skill saw or a jig saw easy enough. but put tape on the faces. replasterbarding the walls means ypu can get them nice and level so you dont have awkward corners.

On 26/10/2023 at 11:10, jfb said:

You say the corner trims look awful? In what way? I had intended using them in my shower cubicle...

How else would you waterproof the corners?...

Just a silicon bead?

Another problem! 

The cubicle walls are not perfectly square and I only have one shot when cutting them....any advice to accurately measuring and cutting the panels?

I am truely hopeless as geometry and measuring!

Measure twice or 3 times, cut once!

if your walls etc are not square then you are looking at scribing, which is effectively using a block or stick of some kind run down the uneven surface to trace (scribe) a corresponding line onto the piece you need to cut .. take a look on YouTube etc. because it’s easier to see than describe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

just butt joint the corners then run a bead of silicone down them. 

corners not being 90 degree's is not really a problem, if the walls are wibbly wobbly i would probably just fit new walls. 

a pair window fitters suction handles make the job way easier if your panels are big. 

5 hours ago, markc said:

looking at scribing,

Hi, I can't Scribe as the 1m wide panels have to be cut first to fit the back wall, I understand what your saying though.

I built the left wall and  squared it to the back wall but the right wall is existing brick and is out of square to the back....but not enough to be able to build a new wall. I will have to cut and hope !!

Thanks so much for your input

1 hour ago, Dee said:

Hi, I can't Scribe as the 1m wide panels have to be cut first to fit the back wall, I understand what your saying though.

I built the left wall and  squared it to the back wall but the right wall is existing brick and is out of square to the back....but not enough to be able to build a new wall. I will have to cut and hope !!

Thanks so much for your input

Scribe a strip of ply or hardboard to get the profile and use this to get your first panel

• Thanks 1

The backnpanel hasc2 holes for the shower pipes.

They're copper tails with push fit pladtic pipes and on the end of the tails chunky white end caps.

When cutting these holes in the panel they will have to be quite big to slide over the end caps.....Will they be too big for the valve to hide or should the holes be just bigger than the copper?

I can't take the end caps off as the pipes are live 🙄

Had a flash of inspiration! Artist Nephew has a wide roll of paper so i stapled it up on one side straight against the best wall. Scribed along ceiling, other wall and tray. Cut holes in separate piece of paper and stuck these on precisely. Now to cut!