Heat Loss Calculation

As longer term users of the forum will be aware, I'm very much inclined to do things myself. I designed and built a small house from the ground up with absolutely minimal outside help. Partly it's because I've struggled to get trades in the past, and partly it's because I'm a cheapskate.

Anyway, next project is ASHP for my 70s bungalow. Almost certainly going to go A2A. I've been leaning towards a ducted system but may go with multi split.

Obviously a heat loss calculation is required. We just had a new EPC done and I was a bit surprised how superficial it was.

If I get a pro to do my HLC, how accurate is it really going to be?

Can I attempt this myself?

So far I've just run numbers through a 'radsizer' online tool from a radiator supplier, and checked the Heatgeeks' rules of thumb, both of which return a value of around 5.5kw. There are plenty of assumptions in there. In practice I'm going to be installing a 5, 6, or 7kw system, so does it really make all that much difference trying to nail this down perfectly?

52 minutes ago, Crofter said:

radiator supplier, and checked the Heatgeeks' rules of thumb, both of which return a value of around 5.5kw.

Rules of thumb are generally pants, and the radiator suppliers not much better, as they are just built on rules of thumb also. As mentioned above there is a spreadsheet on here. Before I used the one here I did my own long hand calcs, both gave similar outcomes.

• Like 1

Ok thanks for the reminder about Jeremy's spreadsheet.

Air tightness clearly has an enormous effect. Unfortunately I have very little idea of just how bad it is in this house.

It's a 1970s l bungalow, twin block walls with cavities filled. New 2G/3G windows and doors throughout. Floor is currently pretty draughty (T&G pine boards, suspended). I'm going to improve that as much as I can (probably insulation with a breather membrane stapled underneath). Loft has several layers of glasswool everywhere, must be about 300mm.

Any ideas for a number to pull out of the air for ACH for a house like this?

Trouble with a leakage rate done at 50Pa, that's basically the same as gale on all 4 sides of the building at all times, which isn't real.

From a SAP report a leakage rate of 7 at 50Pa, is an infiltration rate of 0.4217. So use that, plus any forced ventilation and MVHR efficiency of 0 if you don't have that.

Edited by JohnMo
  • Like 1