Corded drills with a slip clutch

lxs602

Hi,

Do you know of any corded impact drills with an adjustable slip clutch / torque control?

The intent would be for a drill also used to drive screws.

I haven't found any, and I don't know why.

I can only see cordless electric impact drivers / combi drills available, which I cannot justify on cost. I would rather buy good second-hand corded equipment.

I have a corded Hitachi 20VB2 drill, described as having "slip clutch by areas", but apparently the UK isn't the area!

Thanks,

Luke

Edited by lxs602

Buy a used impact off eBay and a couple of new batteries + charger (Chinese copies if you’re brassic) and move on to the next problem. 
A corded impact would be punishment from hell and utterly impractical to use around a build site. 
Once you buy batteries and a charger, the naked tools, especially used, are cheap as chips. 

The issue you’ll have with a 230v drill is how big (long) it will be and how few places you can practically utilise it. 
The above kit for change of £100 will probably do you down to a T, and even though you probably won’t, you could sell it for £60-£80 after you’re done with it. 
You’re not going to get the tool you want any cheaper than that, I very much doubt, plus this is an impact and a combi!

I do appreciate all that, and the advantages and disadvantages of bothcorded and cordless tools, but cost is the limitation as well as durability. The boatyard manager offered to let me off 3 months yard rental, I owe money to extended family and people at work even donated me cans of food.

I thought the Hitachi drill I bought above for £25 had an adjustable torque control. If such a drill has not been manufactured, then ok, I will try to borrow a cordless driver, and the rest by hand. Just be careful not to break it!

I am interested in the question for its own sake also. It surprises me if there are none from when cordless tools were less popular. If no-one has heard of such a thing, I also wonder why.

Edited by lxs602

14 hours ago, TonyT said:

Makita TD0101F 240V 1/4" Hex Impact Driver?

Won’t do torque, specifically, but also won’t break your wrist. Will be quite a beast for general boat building imho. 
If you remove the impact element, there are plenty of cheap corded combi / hammer drills with electronic torque, just do a quick Google search. How accurate they are is down to buying one and using it tbh.

I second the cheap cordless drill option. Impact drivers are great, but specifically at driving 1000s of screws at high torque. For 90% of the time a cordless drill will do the job.

Something like this would do a decent job. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175919185561?hash=item28f599be99:g:buYAAOSwbPhlEBHY&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0APVs5PUaB5jFLVF%2Bcu%2F%2BmKkNyaYLBlo6VmgVqCAUbLxmqQtJQZxBnf5Ocpnd4kbpj7xtiuOIOZPNvHKYPFtzv%2B%2F5iSfuEFQggulmax6%2FjNaH%2FIIXOXK3AU1nvgCfLfw14Jh6sluquMhdN%2FnMLDFtC%2FC7bZ6Iwzw2jdQQ6o4N8RUEhxdRw3st2E0fETj0bizL3Y0eqXAGf%2FDfdrWJibxrlwn5sQDNV%2B%2FkCUaS3%2FAEilWlhss%2B0vROzKKIWTOAXaOtmf7KgO0D9PCBkFeVStOr%2Fk%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR7ae9tnlYg

But I've no idea what's involved in resorting a boat and if you'll be driving a load of 5/6mm dia screws deep into hardwood... In which case you'd want an impact driver.

My cheap Titan cordless drill has variable speed, torque limiting and hammering.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-tti886drs-18v-2-x-2-0ah-li-ion-txp-cordless-drill-driver/328pv

Or were you after a really cheap, corded drill, something like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386148043015

You will soon find out that you only wasted 18 quid.