Shower tray fix

Dee

28 minutes ago, Dee said:

I've read conflicting advice on bedding a tray onto cement or tile adhesive.....which should I trust. Its going onto 18mm ply, onto old joists

Thanks 

I used flexible tile adhesive. I would think that bit of flexibility would help . Assume it’s a solid e.g stone tray ?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Pocster said:

I used flexible tile adhesive. I would think that bit of flexibility would help . Assume it’s a solid e.g stone tray ?

I see you got a similar response in your other thread I.e use tile adhesive to bed the tray . Not sure what you are confused about …. ?

Hi, I've watched a number of YouTube threads about this question and one plumber spent 20 minutes extolling the virtues of sand and cement rather than adhesive. Some say one others say the other hence my confusion....or maybe its confidence. I have to get this right, I can't pay for a pro to do this so I'm reaching out to understand better before I try to do this myself. I'll re read the thread. Thanks for your input. It's a great forum 

I’d say tile adhesive as it gives you more ‘play’ . A sand /cement mix will depend on your mix .

I think it’s one of those things where either method would work tbh . Understand you want to be confident before you commit !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Pocster said:

I’d say tile adhesive as it gives you more ‘play’ . A sand /cement mix will depend on your mix .

I think it’s one of those things where either method would work tbh . Understand you want to be confident before you commit !

I agree, sand and cement is very solid and especially on any timber, which will move a little. It’s a bit why I don’t like mortared ridge tiles .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My next question....sorry.....is the waste pipe run.

The shower pipe will have to run parallel to the joist and T into the sink. Is this OK?

How much fall is dictated by the depth of the joists for both sink and shower to get under. I estimate total run from shower to sink to loo appropriately 4m.

The sink will run as per my sketch to the loo. Should I only use 90⁰ bends or can I use 45⁰ ? (The dotted line is an alternative route).

Thanks for your patience 

16970229152695190503615282621431.jpg

Check the instructions.

Some/most trays need support over the whole base area so for those tile adhesive and a notched trowel is what I used. Allows some levelling like you would a tile.

Other trays are strong enough that several large dabs of mortar can be used and that's slightly easier to level the tray.

Edited by Temp
  • Thanks 1

The tray has a solid base. 800 x 800 so not massive.

I've just  levelled the joists with noggins and now the ply is absolutely level, no rocking or anything.!

Do I now screw down the ply, add tile adhesive, set tray down and then put trap in?

I've got a McAlpine trap so should I use silicon on both rubber seals A,B and C or none??

The small pipe that comes out of the trap, is it just hand tightened onto the trap or some sort of glue used as once it's in its very tight accsess so I have one shot at it.

Thankyou for being so patient and helpful everyone!

16970338714013774869980982631812.jpg

9 hours ago, saveasteading said:

But if the bottom is flat, then why not lay it as one big tile?

Yes you can do that and groove the mortar with the point of a trowel. A totally flat solid layer of mortar can make it harder to level the tray.

HELP! The corner where the shower will sit isn't square! Which wall should I square it too??? It's out by 20mm bottom right! Average it out or square to the back wall? I plan on having just a door, so if you look at the sketch I did for the pipe run then the l will build the left wall off the back wall, (the back wall is stud work) and the right wall is brick.

As there is a void under the floor of about 20" should I put insulation down? The kitchen is below.

How tight should I screw the trap? baring in mind I don't have the same grip strength as a man? is it possible to over tighten the trap ect and knacker it?  Would you recommend PTFE tape on every thread joint as belt and brace?? Once the floor is down that's it!!

Edited by Dee