Private firm or council for building control

Barny

Hi all. 
I had thought I would use a warranty firm for my building controls but they need all contractors lined up and designs finalised before they will even give a quote. We have a design query so wanted to get building control on board now. 
Any views on using local authority vs private firm? For a small project I did I struggled to get the LA to issue paperwork quickly but then I have read bad reviews about private firms too.

any views?

thanks

These days it's almost a lottery with building control. My local authority has only 2 officers to cover a huge geographic area so I just can't use them - I'm going private for this project. In other areas such as Hertfordshire and parts of Norfolk local authorities have grouped together to form what are almost private style organisations. They have lost the local touch and in cases it can be rare to get continuity of officer out to site. 

I'd say unless you have a relationship with a particular private firm then if the LA has it's own officers and is reasonably well staffed then I'd go with them. If you and your area has neither then the best way forward is to ask around on local building sites to see what experience they have. The same process as finding any contractor I suppose. Treat it in the same way.

i was going to use private inspection companies but spoke to the LA head of building inspection. He reassured me that he understood what i was doing (passive house/timber frame) and what he didnt have experience of he would learn. So i opted for them and was very impressed at the speed at which they reacted, their advice and help so i would suggest getting hold of your LA first and see what you think after. If you want a warranty though it can be tricky if you are not using private. 

I think I've concluded experience vary massively and it's very hard to judge what you're walking into.  Even if going through the same "brand" of warranty/building control (e.g. BuildZone) the actual job will likely be subbed to a more localised surveying/inspection company who all your subsequent be with.  I, perhaps naively, had no idea this was the case.

We seem to be getting through with our private warranty/building control and have had no trouble booking visits (~5-6 days) notice, but learnt early on that getting technical input/advice from them - especially during the plan check - was almost impossible.

4 hours ago, BadgerBadger said:

getting technical input/advice from them - especially during the plan check - was almost impossible.

That's fair, as they aren't designers.

I have had very helpful advice from time to time. Early advice on problems is worth money of course, but being told that something isn't needed is best.

We went private for the flexibility, our BC is brilliant and really helpful.

He also gave us some advice about the SE drawings and told us that they could be 'downgraded' in places, which the SE agreed in some cases.

So, he has paid for himself in materials.

I’ve gone local authority, have used them in the past but their website states next day inspections if booked before 4pm and they’re true to their word. Very prompt and reliable. This is CNC in the Broadland district. Once you’ve paid your fee, you’re also able to speak with their surveyors for advice E.g if a wall build up would be acceptable and if I needed weep vents.

>>> We went private for the flexibility, our BC is brilliant and really helpful.

When you say 'private' - you mean an individual or one of the warranty companies? Any recommendations on what to do to get 'brilliant' or is it luck of the draw?

Edited by Alan Ambrose

37 minutes ago, Alan Ambrose said:

>>> We went private for the flexibility, our BC is brilliant and really helpful.

When you say 'private' - you mean an individual or one of the warranty companies? Any recommendations on what to do to get 'brilliant' or is it luck of the draw?

private company in Stowmarket, Gateway Building Control

We deal with one guy, which I like, but he's not the only one just who was allocated our work.

Our build is very slow, but that hasn't been an issue.

Just now, LSB said:

private company in Stowmarket, Gateway Building Control

We deal with one guy, which I like, but he's not the only one just who was allocated our work.

Our build is very slow, but that hasn't been an issue.

This guy just knows his stuff and is very practical, he came out and looked at our first trench and told us that with our soil we could have shallower trenches where we have sand, basically we have to go down to 'good ground', anything over 0.5m, he also accepted photos for the 2nd lot of trenches.  He's happy to answer the phone or responds to emails the same day.

He's been helping us with our floor make up (different thread) and what we need after the SE made an error with the mesh type.

He's coming out next week to look at the mesh before the floor concrete pour.